FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM tv studio workflow question

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Powers
ATEM tv studio workflow question
on Oct 10, 2011 at 3:53:49 pm

Hi - I'm about to purchase a multicam set up for my church - but I want to make sure I'm getting everything straight in my head and I knew that you all could help me if I'm totally mistaken at some point.

So - the need is to record a two camera shoot straight to a computer hard drive for later upload to the internet.

So here's the set up:

- A MacPro to run the switcher software

- HDMI monitor attached to the ATEM for viewing

- Two Sony HXR-NX5U cameras with SDI out going into the ATEM tv studio.

- SDI output going from the ATEM into a decklink SDI card that is attached to the MacPro I'm using to run the switcher software. This would be for recording straight to harddrive.

I guess my questions then are these:

1) does the above set up seem to work?
2) can I record to computer HDD using the sdi out or do I have to use the usb 2.0 out that encodes to h.264?
3) If one of my cameras is getting audio from our board via xlr, will that audio be captured as well? Or do I have to go straight from the board into the ATEM via AES-EBU?

And....I think that's all.

Thanks a ton for any clarification here, I don't work a lot with signal flow etc. so any help/criticism is appreciated. Thanks!

-Chris

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: ATEM tv studio workflow question
on Oct 10, 2011 at 6:56:32 pm

The ATEM TV Studio has AES inputs, so you just can't feed in your analog audio board signal. It must be converted to AES/EBU first.

I have never tried recording on the SAME MAC as I am running the switcher. You can use an iMAC to run the switcher, and put your Decklink into your MAC Pro for recording. I am not saying it won't work - I just never tried it. I have certainly taken the ATEM SDI out into the SDI input of a capture card, and recorded directly to an internal SATA drive. This works perfectly fine.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Chris Powers
on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:54:00 pm

Thanks for the help, Bob - good to know the SDI to drive works. Sounds like this may be the way to go!

Return to posts index

Ken Saieh
on Oct 11, 2011 at 3:59:09 pm

Bob do you know much about the Tricaster, can you give me an idea about the major differences for the price gap between it and the ATEM. I am looking at the Tricaster 300. I understand that one major difference is the tricaster's ability to mix HD, SD formats and to record to internal hard drive, plus stream out of the box. Anything else that is major? I am trying to see the justification for the price difference. Frankly If I end up shooting sports I might need more than the 3 inputs the tricaster 300 offers. What do you think the 300 should be priced for to compete with the ATEM? Thanks

Return to posts index

Matt Drabick
on Oct 11, 2011 at 9:18:19 pm

The NewTek TriCaster 300 with three inputs sells for $15K . . . the recently-announced TriCaster 450 with four inputs also sells for $15K. If you need an all-in-one solution (switching, graphics creation/display, video clip playback and recording plus recording the live-switch to hard drive and streaming . . . all at the same time, then I would consider the TriCaster 450, budget permitting.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems

Return to posts index

Ken Saieh
on Oct 11, 2011 at 9:48:33 pm

Thanks Matt, I am on budget, the major differences I see is the playback and recording capability along with accepting different formats on the tricaster. I am looking at used tricastors, but thinking about the ATEM with the Blackmagic Hyperdeck. I am new to these tools as I haven't done live switching for years and want to make sure I am getting the right tools. The ATEM seems to do titles and chromakey, has downstream and upstream and can sync all inputs.

Return to posts index

Matt Drabick
on Oct 12, 2011 at 12:01:15 am

For the money, an ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher is the perfect choice if you want to do affordable high-def switching with live video cameras plus add titles.

You can add extended-length video playback and recording using the HyperDeck Studio . . . just know that that ATEM 1 M/E strips away the audio from the SDI and HDMI outputs coming from the HyperDeck Studio. You will need to add a converter to take analog audio from the HyperDeck Studio playback to feed the ATEM 1 M/E.

I haven't had a chance yet to work with the 2.6 software with the ATME 1 M/E that turned on the USB 3.0 port. In theory, this means you can create a live stream from the output of the ATEM 1 M/E. You can definitely take the SDI output of the ATEM 1 M/E and feed an SDI DeckLink card installed in another PC.

Hope this helps . . . and yes, I am a BlackMagic dealer.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems

Return to posts index

Dan Swiney
on Oct 12, 2011 at 9:41:54 pm

3) If one of my cameras is getting audio from our board via xlr, will that audio be captured as well? Or do I have to go straight from the board into the ATEM via AES-EBU?

- Yes it should come down as embedded audio over the SDI connection. Saves you running another cable.

Return to posts index

Matt Drabick
on Oct 13, 2011 at 1:59:31 pm

The ATEM switchers strip away any embedded audio in an SDI and HDMI feed connected to the ATEM switcher.

You need to bring audio into the ATEM Television Switcher via the AES/EBU connector on the back on the switcher.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]