FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM television studio HDMI not working

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henry Sugar
ATEM television studio HDMI not working
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:41:49 pm

Does anybody have experience with the new Television Studio from BM? I was pleased to see my HD-SDI feeds appear on my multi view output but none of the HDMI inputs work... or do they?!

I left my cameras connected but not registering with the switcher, then an hour later they suddenly connected by themselves without me altering anything! I am working to 1080i outputs using consumer panasonic HDC-SD1s in the mix with 1.4 cables. I heard there might be a delay with hdmi but this takes the biscuit.

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
Re: ATEM television studio HDMI not working
on Oct 12, 2011 at 1:10:05 am

We got ours today from B&H. We powered up with no inputs attached. After connecting one HDMI from an HMC-150, nothing happened, but within a few seconds, it recognized the signal. I don't know if it was because of its first birthday, but it seems quite fine. We haven't fully tested all the capabilities, but this is an amazing piece of kit for only $1000. Even if it "only" switched, and didn't have H.264 encoding, or keyers, or media sources, or a multi viewer, this would be an unbelievable deal.

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Henry Sugar
on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:42:34 pm

After more investigation and a very helpful blackmagic support team email, I found out a few things. Consumer level camera hdmi is a touch unreliable, possibly because the signal strength is weaker than pro camera hdmi outputs. It is perfectly normal for the ATEM to have a few seconds connection delay. Blackmagic advise converting to SDI (and back again if all your SDI inputs are already in use, as is the case with me) for a reliable signal.

So far with my cheap cameras I get connection down 1m cables fine. I then added in a signal booster http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1767 (best deal i found) and managed to stretch the signal through a further 3m, 4m now in total. Signal did not make it through a 5m cable, not even using two signal boosters separated by 1m cables near the source.

I am experimenting with using CAT5 cable converters for longer runs... i will post my findings

Henry

Return to posts index

Justin Strauber
on Oct 18, 2011 at 3:51:21 am

Speaking from a 1 M/E standpoint, I've been able to use the 'Pro' Panasonic cameras (AG-HMC150PJ / AG-HMC80PJ), as well as a Sony consumer HD camera with no problem. With the Sony, I've only used a 1m microHDMI/HDMI cable, with the Panasonics, they're unstable over 25ft in 1080i.

I've been fairly successful with HDMI extenders from Monoprice. They have one for $40 that will do 190ft over Cat6. I did get one DOA, and am about to start the return process, but the other two have worked flawlessly.

I have noticed, in addition, that the Panasonics have three output options: Auto, Fix, 480. The latter is a downconvert, the first two will work with the ATEMs in HD mode. However, the camera can get confused on AUTO if the ATEM doesn't feel like reporting its true resolution. If you can do any sort of 'fixed' output resolution that matches the mode your ATEM is in, it only takes a second or two for the initial sync after connection.

Return to posts index

Phil Cook
on Dec 22, 2011 at 10:41:53 pm

Justin,

I am also using Panasonic AG HMC80 cameras with the ATEM 1 M/E and getting sporadic glitches, a few frames of black. Switcher is set on1080i with Four identical cameras, 50 foot HMDI cables. All from the same cable manufacturer. Some connections are worse than others. Is this the same problem you were getting when you ventured above 25'?
Solutions?

Thanks, Phil

Return to posts index

Dunstan Manjuna
on Jun 9, 2017 at 5:09:00 pm

Newly buy this HD atem studio, But not working HDMI input. I got only audio....Distance is 2m. Is thr any none supported cameras for this Unit.....I have DSLR 60D.... Help me pout ..Im in project ahead.!!!
Thanks. Anyone!!

Dunstan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]