I need to input an SVGA computer signal into the HDMI inputs of the ATEM 1
Has anbody tried this, and what converters work

John Williams
U.K.

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
Re: Computer input to ATEM1 Switcher
on Oct 1, 2011 at 7:50:32 pm

We do this quite often with MacBook Pros. I have also had success with Dell laptops. You just need a video card that is capability of outputting to a video resolution. Most machines that have an HDMI output are capable of this.

Jim

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Oct 1, 2011 at 7:59:42 pm

Thanks for this. Problem is that we have to use signals from computrers in University Lecture halls where all we can get is a feed from the SVGA output!

Return to posts index

Tony Marone
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:21:29 pm

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. I do video at a large university at their performing arts center, mostly for large meetings during the week. The quest typically has a powerpoint on a laptop. I needed to get the vga out on the laptop into the ATEM switcher. After some research, I discovered the Atlona AT-HD500 PC/Laptop to HDMI Converter with Built-In Scaler. I got it off Amazon and am very happy with the performance.

The only thing you have to do is connect it up to a hd monitor first and set it manually for 1080i output. This is not a fault of the scaler but rather a problem with how the ATEM handles EDID, it does not correctly report its resolution capabilities to the AT-HD500. By manually setting the converter to 1080i once you will never have this problem again as the setting is remembered in the scaler.

I hope this helps.

Tony Marone

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Oct 7, 2011 at 11:57:33 pm

Tony,
Thanks for that. I have now solved the problem by the purchase of a TV One IT-VS-624 Scaler which costs £183.60 inc Delivery. This works in both 1080 and 720 and allows you to keep the aspect ratio of the image.

As regard the set up, I quite agree. The ATEM does not allow the unit to automaticially set the ratio, so the monitor is needed. However the Menu on the scaler is really easy to use.

The switcher is a really good product. We are using 2 Canon XF 305 and 2 Canon XF 105 cameras with it. The recordr should be delivered next week and will ba a Atmos Samuri unit recording in either Hd-SDI or SDI.

Regards,

John

Return to posts index

Tony Marone
on Oct 8, 2011 at 3:08:35 am

Hi John,

I looked at the scaler you bought and guess what? It IS THE SAME EXACT ONE that I have - just with the Atlona name on it. I wonder who made it, TV One or Atlona?

Small world.

Tony

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Oct 8, 2011 at 8:21:10 am

Tony,

I have no idea, but whoever made it, they have two happy customers!

John

Return to posts index

John Fickling
on Oct 31, 2011 at 11:00:58 am

I like to see happy customers. As I am in the same situation needing an output from laptop I have a question.

If the laptop is usedf in a lecture how are you going to output both to the projector aAND the converter feeding ATEM switcher???

I thought of using one of the USB to HDMI converters. Has amyone tried one of these?

Appleboy New Zealand

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Oct 31, 2011 at 5:03:03 pm

The way that I would do it is to take a SHGA to Cat 5 converter which costs about £90 for a pair of units. These converters have an SVGA in and out as well as the cat 5 link. Therefore its put between the laptop and the projector, and I then run Cat 5 to the Blackmagic control position. Its then converten back to SVGA and I then use the box that I have talked about earlier in the thread.

Another way would be to Use a SVGA Splittr box (1 in 2 out) a the laptop end, and to then have a long SVGA Cable back to my converter. This would probably be a cheaper method as long as you don't need more than 25m of cable.

Regards,

John

Return to posts index

Jeff McCall
on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:19:51 pm

Have either of you had issues with color conversion when using the scaler? The laptop is probably putting out RGB and the ATEM wants YUV or YPBPR.

Return to posts index

John Williams
on Nov 1, 2011 at 5:20:41 pm

Hi,

No its not a problem because the unit that I use converts the SVGA into an HDMI signal either at 1080 or 720 or an sd signal. As long as you make sure that the scaler is set to the correct resolution and frame rate for the ATEM, it works a treat.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]