FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio 3D output questions

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris Merkel
Ultrastudio 3D output questions
on Sep 30, 2011 at 2:19:51 pm

I am going out on a limb here and I already know the short answer, but I thought I would ask anyway. I just received the Us3D and I am putting it through it's paces and have managed to lock it up many times using it with Premier Pro and Dynamic link to AE and back using thunderbolt HD/SDI. anyway more on that later. The video out of this box is amazing and I really like it, however the limitation of the one thunderbolt port cripples my workflow. Not a deal breaker for me because the end use of this unit is really not for editing but rather displaying 3G/HD/SDI signals for monitor demos.

However, when I do use it for editing, is there any way to use the HDMI out to extend the desktop while at the same time displaying video over the SDI out?

Like I said, I already know the short answer. But if someone can give me info based on tech and the limitations or not of the box, is it hardware or software and could this be done with a firmware upgrade? Anyway I would consider this as a future feature request for the Us3D.

Return to posts index

Keith Clark
Re: Ultrastudio 3D output questions
on Sep 30, 2011 at 7:58:52 pm

Thank you! I have exactly the same question!
Why Oh Why didn't they put another thunderbolt port on the BM US3D
I with you, eagerly await any input.
Keith

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:48:58 pm

I don't think that we have enabled the Video Desktop feature on that board (as we enabled on some of the older boards).

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Oct 4, 2011 at 3:10:14 pm

Thanks for the response. Is the Video Desktop feature different than the "Extend Desktop" feature that I can enable when the output is not playing video?

Return to posts index

Keith Clark
on Oct 5, 2011 at 7:36:22 am

If I am understanding instructions correctly, this settings determins what is displayed from the us3d when you have switched out of the video applacation i.e. FCP or PP ect.
The options are, Black, last frame of video bieng viewed or exstended desktop.
All are different then video desktop which would be your main computer desktop screen. Based on the previous comment it looks asthough this feature is not currently an option, only an exstended desktop and this signel would be sent out of the Port you were monitoring video through.
I was hoping I could send the computer desktop through the HDMI ( to a monitor of my choice) to give me a larger working space for the nle timeline and the video preview out the SDI to a production monitor, alowing me to not have to replace my non thunderbolt monitor (new) with another 1000.00$ thunderbolt monitor just to gain an additional thunderbolt port.
As it stands now I can use either my BM us3d and laptop screen or my 27" non-thunderbolt monitor but not both...bummer.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
on Oct 5, 2011 at 1:31:13 pm

Exactly. When using the US3D in an editing environment with a MBP we have no options to display a video signal and have an external monitor at the same time. Like I said before, not a deal breaker for me because I am using the US3D for demonstrating image quality on broadcast monitors and for that it is truly awesome. But, when I am editing or compositing it would be nice to have the extra real estate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]