FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrastudio 3D HDMI OUT outputs 0-255 instead of 16-235 when connected to HDTVs?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Smith
Ultrastudio 3D HDMI OUT outputs 0-255 instead of 16-235 when connected to HDTVs?
on Sep 28, 2011 at 9:28:03 pm

Is there anybody else experiencing this issue? The box is not usable for me at the moment because of this.

I'm using driver version 8.5 on Lion 10.7.1 with Premiere CS5.

I also tested using the Media Express software playback. (I thought it might be Premiere CS5 only..., I will test with Final Cut Pro later today to see if FCP does the same.)

Tested with two plasma HDTVs - Pioneer Elite Kuro 151 and a Panasonic GT30. The Kuro offers 4 settings for HDMI inputs. They are: Component 422, Component 444, RGB 16-235 and RGB 0-255. The Panny is way simpler with "Non Standard" "and Normal 16-235" and both TVs don't show below black and are set to 0-255.

On the Kuro if I change the HDMI settings to Component 444 or any RGB modes I get green and purple colors everywhere telling me that RGB is not coming out of the box. The only compatible HDMI setting is "Component 422".

The way I test is this:

- Make a new blackmagic sequence in Premiere with YUV 8 bit 1080p 23.976 (tested with YUV 10bit 1080p 23.976 as well and it was the same)

- Import color bars pattern bitmap (tested PNG 24 and TGA) inside premiere and drag the still on the timeline.

The only true black bar I see is the "below black" bar which should not be visible. All other black bars are grey (they are set at 16).

I contacted support and they are looking into it but I would like to know if anybody else have this issue.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
Re: Ultrastudio 3D HDMI OUT outputs 0-255 instead of 16-235 when connected to HDTVs?
on Sep 29, 2011 at 12:48:47 am

Tested with Final Cut Pro and same result.

Ultrastudio 3D with driver 8.5 on Lion 10.7.1 HDMI OUT doesn't do below black / above white. Stuck in 0-255

Anybody got this working?

Return to posts index

Martin Smith
Re: Ultrastudio 3D HDMI OUT outputs 0-255 instead of 16-235 when connected to HDTVs?
on Oct 13, 2011 at 6:03:25 pm

The reason why Blackmagic Design support never answered this thread is because it's not possible.

It's funny that they end their email with "Hope that helps."

Here's their response:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Support USA to xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

Hello xxxxxxx,

Regarding the gray that you were seeing at 16 with your display monitor, here is what we were advised.

Internally the color space is YUV, but it can translate the YUV to RGB. The translation can occur depending on the monitor. This would explain why you are seeing the grey at 16 and not white. Your monitor is receiving RGB at 0 to 255.

We inquired to see if there is a toggle or option to switch between YUV or RGB. Unfortunately, that is not an option that is currently available.

Hope that helps.

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxx
Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc. USA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]