FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why no support for 240p content on intensity pro?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Schurig
Why no support for 240p content on intensity pro?
on Sep 25, 2011 at 8:43:22 am

Before owning an intensity, I didn't even know that 240p existed outside of YouTube videos, but apparently most old video game systems output this kind of signal. What I would like to know is why the intensity is incapable of coping with this lower resolution signal when all of the TV's and capture devices I have owned previously have been just fine?

Also, while I was attempting to get my intensity to properly capture my SNES, I found that selecting the "NTSC Progressive" option would give me about a second of displayed video. Upon captureing one of those frames i got this:

As you can see, there are two frames, approx 240 lines of height (though the top frame is missing a little). After cropping out one of the frames and linedoubleing, I got this:

One correctly rendered frame. So at least on the hardware side, this device should be capable of properly capturing 240p content. If possible, it would be great to have a half-height, progressive scan capture option for old games, as it would completely remove the need for deinterlacing.

Is there any chance of supporting 240p content in the future? While capturing from both HD, and 480i delivers a stunning picture, the lack of being able to capture from old video games makes me almost regret buying an intensity. I really don't want to have to buy another capture card, or an expensive scaler, just to capture one video format.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Why no support for 240p content on intensity pro?
on Sep 28, 2011 at 5:33:19 pm

To be honest, i'm not sure there is a technical limitation that prevents the card from doing this.

Also, if i'm being honest this is the first request i've seen to be able to catpure this resolution in all my years in the industry. That of course isn't making light of your request, just saying I haven't seen it before.

I think probably the biggest issue here would be to adding another format to our testing, which adds quite a bit on the back end of things. Still, I'll pass it on to the PM.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Joseph Schurig
on Sep 29, 2011 at 6:08:38 am

While there have been no requests for the support of this video format, there have been a few threads of people who were having trouble capturing old games, not knowing that they were dealing with a 240p signal. Link 1, link 2, link 3.

I think the reason most people don't know their old games output a different format is because most devices (TVs, VCRs, capture cards), just treat these signals as interlaced, and do just fine.

well anyway, thank you for taking the time to address this issue, and I do hope that you guys will implement this sometime in the (hopefully) near future, as I want to be able to get the best quality I can, even if the games are old and low res to begin with.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Oct 3, 2011 at 8:53:15 pm

Sorry...when I say i'd not seen it, I should have mentioned that i've personally never received a call or email about it. Forums are a different matter. But point taken.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Joseph Schurig
on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:27:42 am

No worries, I'm just pointing out some examples to show that there is a demand for this feature.

Return to posts index

Bryan Lacie
on Aug 17, 2012 at 5:53:17 pm

I made an account just to say that I would really appreciate 240 res support, as well. It's a growing request, due to the rising trend in LPing/Streaming older games, and for such an expensive piece of hardware to NOT be able to meet this requirement is honestly disappointing/bad for PR (especially the lack of documentation on it).

-Bryan

Return to posts index

Alishams Hassam
on Sep 7, 2016 at 9:00:19 am

Sorry to res the thread but this is popular on Google. I'm shocked to see the latest Black Magic Intensity 4k card doesn't support it either. I was *so* close to buying one as I hear out of the box Linux support with OBS-studio is top notch. Any idea what kind of gear I would need to capture 240p with the BM? I guess hardware to upscale to 640p and I would be good to go?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 7, 2016 at 10:39:40 pm

These high end cards are designed to work with broadcast formats, as well as higher end theatrical formats. They are not designed to work with low end video game formats. For that, you need different hardware. This format isn't even on the radar of the people making this equipment...480p is the bottom in this case...standard def.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]