FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM Television Studio : Sound & Sync ?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jean Dupre
ATEM Television Studio : Sound & Sync ?
on Sep 17, 2011 at 6:59:30 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to buy a Atem Studio as soon as it is released in France.

I plan to set a small TV studio for a school, in order to live webcast trainings & conferences.

I have two concerns :

- Does the software and inputs allow the sound mix to remain the same while juggling with the video inputs ? Or does the sound have to follow the same cuts than video ? In both cases what (cheap) solution would you suggest to webcast the best sound possible of a 4/5 people discussion ?

- Have anyone tested the much dreamed about inbox synchronization of 4 HDMI sources ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jean

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: ATEM Television Studio : Sound & Sync ?
on Sep 18, 2011 at 5:33:57 pm

- Does the software and inputs allow the sound mix to remain the same while juggling with the video inputs ? Or does the sound have to follow the same cuts than video ?

REPLY - the sound is input to the mixer via your analog audio mixer.
You can cut your video sources all day long - your sound is not coming from the mic's on the cameras - it's coming from your audio mixer.

In both cases what (cheap) solution would you suggest to webcast the best sound possible of a 4/5 people discussion ?

REPLY - Livestream free streaming software, that works with the Blackmagic Decklink cards. - Take the output of the ATEM, and run it into the Decklink input, where you can record your interview on the MAC hard drive, and stream it to Livestream.

- Have anyone tested the much dreamed about inbox synchronization of 4 HDMI sources ?

REPLY - what is the "dream" - it's a standard way to work. Plug in your 4 HDMI cameras. Run 4 lav mics into your mixer, mixer out into the ATEM switcher. What's the problem ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jean Dupre
on Sep 18, 2011 at 6:17:53 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer Bob

I had missed the AES-EBU input in the specs.

Concerning the sync, I guess my questions wasn't precise enough : as far as I knew, synchronized HDMI inputs is something very new that allows for the first time a cheap mixer to mix consumer cameras signals. So I wondered how well it works.

Would you confirm that it works as well as with genlocked cams ?

Thanks a lot for your help

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:38:06 am

the inputs are frame sync'ed. You do not need genlock.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Axel Bergmann
on Jan 17, 2012 at 4:37:27 pm

Hello Bob,

We are considering purchasing an ATEM and wonder about the following.

1/ If non-genlocked cameras are synced by ATEM, would pictures be delayed and get of sync with audio (or is audio delayed too)?
2/ Could ATEM and Procaster run on the same MacPro notebook?

Thanks for any info you would be able to give.

Return to posts index

Gabrielle Genevie
on May 12, 2012 at 10:30:00 pm

Bob,
HDMI is bringing the sound into the TVS. Could you please help me to understand the reason we need to provide the same sound again over AES?

I would expect that any device that uses HDMI simply works with video and sound...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ronny Hofsøy
on May 14, 2012 at 11:13:14 pm

The audio is not switched, so the audio on the HDMI and SDI inputs are stripped out. ONLY the video will enter the TVE switcher. If you need to mix the audio coming from the camera, you need to connect each cameras audio output to an external audio mixer that also has AES output that you connect to the AES input on the TVS. But be informed that the audio has to be delayed to get perfect lipsync due to delay processing the video inside TVS switcher. Typical around 40ms. A nice box that takes care of the delaying of the audio is Behringer Shark FBQ100 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DSP110.aspx but this is analog only, and has to be injected before sending out on the AES.

Return to posts index

Michael Spano
on Aug 26, 2012 at 4:50:48 pm

I am looking at getting the ATEM TV Studio for a Film/TV production class at the Middle School I work at. I like the TV studio and it's simplicity/price point. I already have an analogue Peavey v-8 mixer with 1/4 inch jack main outs. Please correct me if I'm wrong but from what I am reading I can take the main mixer outputs into the shark DSP110 then from the shark DSP110 into the SRC2496 to be converted to digital and then FINALLY into the TV Studio via a RCA -> BNC cable? My thinking is that the audio would be delayed coming from the mixer and then be converted for the TV Studio's AES input then BAMMY WAM! we have synced lips? ( given i set the delay correctly :P )

If this is the case it would be perfect for pre recording our morning announcements!

Also, in my humble opinion, wouldn't things be so much easier if we the Black Magic Design recording software just allowed you to choose where the audio input was coming from? In other words just have your analogue mixer connected to an input on your computer and set the software to use that as the stream's audio in the compressed recording. Just a thought... I know it isn't possible at the moment but I can always dream of simpler solutions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]