FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM Video switcher

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Genzon
ATEM Video switcher
on Aug 30, 2011 at 4:52:07 am

I produce corporate live events, and I was looking for a switcher capable of take cameras (HD/SD) computer presentations (Mac/PC) and DVD players. Is this ATEM switcher capable of delivery good results with these sources at the same time?

Thank you

Return to posts index

Matt Drabick
Re: ATEM Video switcher
on Aug 30, 2011 at 1:58:47 pm

A few things to remember . . . the ATEM 1 M/E works either as an HD or SD switcher . . . you can't mix and match inputs . . . you set the resolution (480i, 720P, 1080i, etc)and your sources must be at that resolution . . . the exception being computer feeds coming in via HDMI . . . you can bring in a computer at a different resolution and frame rate then your video cameras and the 1 M/E will work with it as a video source.

If you plan to work in HD, then you will need a converter to upconvert the output of your DVD to something that the 1 M/E will like (SDI or HDMI).

Knowing those restrictions, the 1 M/E is an excellent switcher, and certainly affordable at $2,495.00 (or less) . . . You can run the 1 M/E using a Mac or Windows PC via the included Software Control Panel or spend the money and buy the 1 M/E Control Panel.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems
Raleigh, NC
http://www.digiteksys.com

Return to posts index

Jim Brown
on Aug 30, 2011 at 2:45:13 pm

We have installed several of these to do what you just described. Couple of caution notes. The ATEM does not pass HDCP sources which is the encryption for HD content. This means all Blue Ray DVD players will not connect. Also, some regular DVD players will upconvert, just make certain you can set the output to 1080i. Most default to 1080P which the ATEM does not support. We use a Sony DVD player which is working fine. Most laptops connect just fine.

Also, the entire switcher works at your specified resolution. (720P or 1080i) and either HDMI or SDI.

You cannot find a better value or better performance if you work within these limitations. We are producing a Friday night football game using an ME1 with Panasonic HVX series cameras and delivering in high definition for our local NBC affiliate. It is that good.

Jim
M&M ProductionsUSA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 31, 2011 at 12:06:59 am

Hi Ricardo -
as you have been told by others, the ATEM will not do HD and SD SDI at the same time. Your DVD player MUST go thru a converter (like a Blackmagic mini converter) to turn the analog CAV signal into SD-SDI, or up convert it to HD-SDI. Your MAC must be plugged into to the HDMI port with a DVI to HDMI cable, and boot up while it is plugged in so it will sense the 1080i display signal.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]