FORUMS: list search recent posts

No external video with Premiere 5.5

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alfred Guzzetti
No external video with Premiere 5.5
on Aug 26, 2011 at 5:26:45 pm

Like everybody else, I'm searching for an alternative to FCP and have downloaded a trial version of Premiere 5.5. I'm using HDV on a Mac desktop and when the Source window is active, I hit the space bar and see motion on the computer screen as well as on my external HD CRT monitor, which is fed by an Intensity Pro card. But if I play back from the Program window or the Timeline, I see motion on the computer monitor but only a freeze frame on the HD CRT monitor. I've just installed the 8.2.1 Intensity driver but it doesn't help. Needless to say, everything worked perfectly for many years in FCP. Is there a way out of this problem? If not, then Premiere is useless for me. (Also, I wonder if there's a way to output an HDV program to my Sony tape deck HVR M25U maybe via the Intensity card, even though Adobe says there's no HDV deck control in their Mac version, only in Windows.) Many thanks.

By the way, I can no longer find any way of asking Blackmagic any technical questions via their web site or published phone numbers. They used to be very accessible.

Alfred Guzzetti
Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz 4GB RAM
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: No external video with Premiere 5.5
on Aug 26, 2011 at 6:49:56 pm

You have to create a premiere sequence from blackmagic preset folder. Dont choose hdv timeline.
Do you see the blackmagic presets when you create a new project?

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Aug 26, 2011 at 7:25:07 pm

Amazing! I never would have figured that out in a million years. How can I thank you enough?

Alfred Guzzetti
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Aug 26, 2011 at 8:00:25 pm

Sorry, I spoke too soon. When I started a new project as you suggested and imported an HDV clip that I had captured via FCP, it worked just as you said it wuld. But when I tried capturing a new HDV with the preference set for Blackmagic (1440 x 1080 jpeg), the file came in empty (black and silent). When I changed the capture setting to HDV, the clip came in with both picture and sound but the old problem was reproduced: no motion in the Program window or Timeline. Is there a solution to this?

Alfred Guzzetti
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Aug 26, 2011 at 11:51:08 pm

I think the problem is that I don't know exactly what you mean. When I open Premiere Pro 5.5, I get a "New Project" panel and under the pulldown "Capture Format" menu, one of the choices is "Blackmagic Capture." Is this what you mean by "blackmagic preset folder"? Next to the pulldown menu, the settings button allows me to choose "HD 1080" and then "mpeg2" plus all the familiar settings of HDV. Under the "Capture Format" menu, as you suggest, I didn't choose "HDV," though I'm not quite sure what you mean about not choosing "hdv timeline." You ask if I see the blackmagic presets when I create a new project. I assume you mean the "New Project" panel.

There must be something I'm misunderstanding here because the problem isn't solved. I'd be very grateful for help.

Alfred Guzzetti
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

Chris O'Neal
on Aug 30, 2011 at 4:12:15 pm

He's talking about when you make a new sequence... That's the screen AFTER the screen you're talking about, or it also comes up whenever you manually create a new sequence. Inside there, where it says "available presets' at the top, There is a Blackmagic Design pulldown. You need to select one ONLY from that set of options. Obviously you need to pick the one that best fits your footage. After that, you should be able to see something on your external monitor.

If you don't see those sequence settings, you don't have your BM installed correctly and you need to reinstall the drivers.

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Aug 30, 2011 at 4:46:20 pm

Many thanks. Blackmagic just sorted this out for me on the phone. The problem was that I apparently updated my Intensity driver to 8.5 (which I read someplace that I had to do), after installing the trial version of Premiere Pro 5.5, and for that reason the Blackmagic choices didn't appear on the panel you're talking about. Now they do and the image played back from the timeline moves on the external CRT video monitor. But it doesn't move very well. It stutters and sometimes stops. The only thing that I've found to work is to import HDV via Blackmagic UNCOMPRESSED. This is a bit too much for my computer, and I can see smooth motion on playback, both on the computer screen and the video CRT monitor, only if I render. Obviously, not a practical possibility for editing! The setting I've used for the sequence is YUV 1080 60i. So, unless I'm missing something, for the moment Premiere doesn't seem to be an alternative to FCP given my addiction to the external video monitor. Onward to Avid (which apparently doesn't work with the Intensity Pro card at all, though Intensity claims they're working on it--we're into the realm of the $1000 AJA card)!

Am I missing something (other than FCP, which worked so well for so many years?

Alfred Guzzetti
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

George Sey
on Sep 7, 2011 at 4:44:07 am

I had the same problems after changing to video8 drivers. I am now using 3.94 on all my systems and will not change the drivers anytime soon

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:49:19 am

Many thanks. Any idea where I can get a 3.94 driver? (I'll check of course to see what's on the CD that came with the Intensity card.)

Alfred Guzzetti
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

George Sey
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:12:09 pm

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail/register/download/?fid=1118...

Sorry I was busy and did not check the mails. You have to select "include legacy" before the old file show and get the intensity from there. Also check archived drivers
This is the link and it is working for me good. Copy and paste in the browser. The video 8 driver is loaded with lots of junk that Intensity never use. Bundling them all was a bad idea

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Sep 12, 2011 at 4:36:57 pm

Many thanks. I'll give this a try. What I need to happen is to see full, smooth motion on my external video monitor without editing HD uncompressed (ridiculous when the source was HDV!). I'll report back if I figure this out.

Alfred Guzzetti
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Sep 17, 2011 at 2:49:14 pm

As you suggested, I tried going back to the Intensity 3.9.4 driver, but now Premiere Pro doesn't see the Intensity card at all, though Final Cut Pro does and works fine as usual. I'm stumped.

Alfred Guzzetti
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

Alfred Guzzetti
on Sep 23, 2011 at 9:34:05 pm

Premiere Pro 5.5 simply doesn't see the Blackmagic Card on my computer once the Blackmagic Intensity Pro driver version 3.9.4 is installed. I tried reinstalling the (Trial) version of Premiere Pro 5.5. But it still doesn't see the Intensity card. I think this is checkmate. But many thanks for your suggestion.

Alfred Guzzetti
Intensity Pro card
OS 10.6.8
FCP 6.0.5
DVDSP 4.2.1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]