FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extended Desktop... Option is where? (HD Extreme)

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Spirk
Extended Desktop... Option is where? (HD Extreme)
on Aug 22, 2011 at 2:32:47 am

I'm using a Decklink HD Extreme, I've got the 8.2.1 Video Desktop pref pane installed, etc.

I can't find the option to extended the desktop anywhere, and it's making me feel really stupid seeing as I can't find any other post with a similar problem.

I'm running a Mac Pro 2009 8-core 2.66 GHz with 6 gigs of ram, 2x 23" Cinema displays and a vizio LCD monitor.

It detects the card fine, but I can't find an option to extend the desktop anywhere.

Any help?

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: Extended Desktop... Option is where? (HD Extreme)
on Aug 22, 2011 at 11:05:14 am

Hi Andrew,

The option to output extended desktop from the DeckLink card is in the Blackmagic panel in System Preferences. There is the dropdown box 'When not playing video, output', you should have the option here for Black, Last played frame and Extended Desktop. Just select Extended Desktop, restart, and I believe it should then work for you. The resolution is then set from the Mac OS Display preferences

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Andrew Spirk
on Aug 22, 2011 at 7:53:30 pm

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I don't have that option in the pulldown menu. Only Black and Last Frame Played.

I am using 10.6.8 with a Decklink HD Extreme in a 4x slot. This card is a few years old, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it, but I'm hoping it doesn't.

Return to posts index

Andrew Spirk
on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:11:51 pm

Well, still no luck. I submitted a support ticket via the blackmagic site, but haven't heard anything back yet. I tried calling the support line as well (1 408 954 0500) but it seems the line is no longer in service, I get an error message from the phone company about the call not being able to be completed.

Just to refresh, I got this card a few years ago (Decklink HD Extreme) and it did work fine with desktop extending. I hadn't used the card in a year or so, and besides the desktop extension it works great in the new model Mac Pro (2009) with Final Cut, After Effects and Nuke. I'd like to use the extended desktop for a number of reasons, but I've been unable to get it to work.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Andrew Spirk
on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:16:22 pm

Here's a screenshot of what the preference pane looks like for me:

Return to posts index

Andrew Spirk
on Aug 23, 2011 at 7:40:54 pm

Update:

Man, I wish creative cow would let you edit your posts :(

Anyway, I contacted BM support and they tested different configurations while I was on the phone with them. Quite helpful but unfortunately since I have a Decklink HD Extreme (version 1) it won't work as that wasn't either qualified or included in the legacy update. Version 2 of the card works fine as he tested both.

Guess I'll have to live without desktop extender :D For now...

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Aug 25, 2011 at 8:34:54 am

Hi Andrew. Sorry, I should have mentioned that the Extended Desktop feature may not work on some Legacy cards.

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Kevin Duggan
on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:10:50 am

HI Chris
I have a "legacy" multbridege Extreme box. I too cannot see the desktop feature. If it is not supported now , will it ever be? From my dodgy memory I seem to recollect it was initially , then this feature disappeared . Do you have a definitive list of what will and not work by any chance?

thank you

Kevin Duggan
CatDV/MME

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]