FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd workaround/fix dealing with 'stuttering' video and crashes...Multibridge/Intensity

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Chung
Odd workaround/fix dealing with 'stuttering' video and crashes...Multibridge/Intensity
on Aug 17, 2011 at 10:32:08 pm

Mac Pro Dual-core 3.0 duo
OS X 10.6.8
12 GB RAM
FCP 7.0.3
CalDigit HDOne 8TB RAID (running RAID 5)
Blackmagic Multibridge Pro 2

I've been using the BM Multibridge Pro with my Mac and FCS for a while now with no serous problems...a few issues here and there that were pretty easy to fix. Recently, while editing feature in FCP 7.0.3. I had to move my system to another office, and to make things easier, I switched out my Multibridge for an Intensity Pro, since I only needed to monitor via HDMI for the time being, and I didn't need the extra rack space/plug etc. of the Multibridge. So I uninstalled Multibridge and installed the Intensity software and went ahead.

It went fine for the most part, but there were a few instances when my system wasn't quite as stable...had to try twice to switch to external monitoring, etc...but nothing that couldn't be solved. Altogether, it wasn't quite as 'fast' or responsive as the Multibridge, but it's a less complex piece anyway. Then I switched back to Multibridge, uninstalled and reintsalled software....and I got stuttering external monitor video and crashes like several have posted about from time to time. Did the usual disk maintenance, cache dump, trash prefs, reinstall software...it would still happen.

This is a pretty big feature being edited in ProRes 422 HQ, 1920 x 1080 (off a CalDigit HDOne RAID)...lots of folders, big timeline, lots of tracks, multiple versions of the timeline...a big FCP project size (about 240MB), so I just created another project with just the latest timeline to see if that would help...it crashed upon first usage. These stutters/crashes would usually happen with 'preview' render clips (green bar), so I rendered them out, which seemed to help a bit...but I had been working with the same sort of conditions before with the Multibridge without the same crashes....before I switched between the Intensity and back to Multibridge.

So finally, I decided to try an earlier version of the Multibridge software. The current one, which I had installed, is 7.9.4.....I went back to 7.8. And the issues went away, as far as I can tell.

Has there been any word from Multibridge/Decklink users regarding bugs or problems with the latest driver software (7.9.4)?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]