FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitor Problem using my Decklink card.

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allen Zagel
Monitor Problem using my Decklink card.
on Aug 14, 2011 at 9:27:41 pm

Hi

I have a pro JVC monitor and this problem crops up a lot. I have the decklink SDi card in my Mac Pro. When I first use the monitor it shows the video fine then after the first pause in my timeline the monitor only shows a still and not video.

I could be using the wrong settings on the card but I'm not sure. It's driving me "nutz" though. I was using the Blackmagic HD 720p 60 RGB 10 bit setting. I tried some other settings but then the monitor wouldn't work at all.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Have Mac Pro using Final Cut Studio 2 FCP 6.

OH! Was that conflict between the Decklink card and Apple's magic mouse ever solved?
Thanks
Allen

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Monitor Problem using my Decklink card.
on Aug 15, 2011 at 6:41:56 pm

Hey Allen,

In the Blackmagic Control panel turn off the option to reduce jitter on pause. This will show the actual video instead of a still frame for you.

The issue with the Magic Mouse still exists. The problem here is that it is not consistent and does not happen on all machines. It's been a real bear to try to figure out.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:07:29 pm

Hi Joshua

Okay thanks. I did that but still locked on a single frame. It changes the frame whenever I stop the timeline.

I have External Video set to all frames, Video playback on Blackmagic HD 720p 60 RGB 10 bit.

The video was shot at 720p 30

Thanks
Allen

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Aug 16, 2011 at 8:25:32 pm

Ah...that problem is a framerate mismatch. Meaning that the video in the timeline is not matching the easy setup.

A couple of things I see here which could be contributing. It looks like you've modified the 720p60 preset to use the 10bit RGB codec. It's not a preset we ship with the product (not saying that it won't work, it could be an issue.

Also your using 720p30 and I guess it would depend on your actions when you imported the clip. When you import a clip it will tell you the clip doesn't match the timeline and ask if you want to change it. It's possible if you allow it to change the sequence preset that it could tweak something to make the output not work properly.

But if i'm not mistaken your issue is if you press play the timeline cursor will move and no image will update in the canvas. But when you stop the image will be shown.

So best way to test this is to try it out using one of the provided easy setups and a video clip that matches. (this would be a test).

I'll find out about the RBG codec thing for sure, but i'm pretty sure that only works with 1080 and 2k formats.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Aug 16, 2011 at 10:33:25 pm

Hi Joshua

Actually no. The camera was a Sayno Xacti 1010 shooting H.264/MP4. It's NOT Avchd. I imported it into the computer using MPEG streamclip and the Apple Intermediate Codec. (Not sure but I think Streamclip might have a ProRes conversion too).

I checked the camera and it is shooting 1280 x 720 60 fps not 30. A

So I'm thinking I'm using the wrong preset for the monitor.

When I started the new project in FCP 6 I did use the easy set-up and the clips do match. So I haven't knowingly changed any codecs. That 720p 60 RGB is the one I selected in the Blackmagic Video set-up. There's so many I tried a few that said 720. i'll try some different ones again

Normally on the job I use my Panasonic HPX 170 P2. But this little Xacti is cool for family and personal stuff. I haven't used the monitor in a while on the computer though.

Regards
Allen

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Aug 17, 2011 at 12:46:55 am

So quick question.

Are you using Log and Transfer to capture them? That is are you transferring them from the camera's memory, or are you using Log and Capture?

If you aren't capturing them, it'd be worth a try. For tests sake try the 720p setting for ProRes (it's simple and can be done on a single drive).

It sounds almost definitely like a setup issue and i'm sure we can get you through it. You can give us a call and we can walk you through it.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Aug 17, 2011 at 2:50:21 am

Okay I'm game for anything. No I'm not capturing or using log and transfer on these kinds of clips.

FCP don't like this kind of MP4. I'm using a program called "MPEG Streamclip"
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

This imports the clips from the SDHC card and converts them to an MP4 that FCP can deal with. I have been using Apple Intermediate Codec. However there's a long list of codecs. I see that Pro Res 422 is there, so I'll try a clip.......Okay I re-converted one of the AIC clips to ProRes 422 using Streamclip. Still have the same problem with the monitor. No video only stills. And yes when I pause the timeline the still updates.

I'll call tomorrow (Wednesday).
Allen

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Aug 17, 2011 at 6:51:29 pm

Hi Joshua

Don't have your phone number anymore.

Anyway I shot a fresh clip this morning. Inserted the SDHC card and just dragged the clip to the Mac Pro. Opened FCP and tried to use log-and-transfer and got a warning error that the media was unsupported.

So that let's out Log-&-transfer.

Apparently the only way I know how to convert these clips is using that MPEG Streamclip I mentioned above.

Instead of using the Apple Intermediate Codec I set Streamclip for Pro Res 422. Using easy setup in FCP set to Pro Res 422 I still for an error message the video clip was not matching the easy set-up so should I change the timeline to match the clip.

I have no idea why the Monitor is only showing a single frame updating whenever I stop the playback. And when I first connected the monitor the video actually showed for 3 minutes before stopping.

I'm pulling my hair out. But I really don't need to use the monitor for this project anyway. Would be nice to solve the problem. And I don't think I have any 'raw' P2 clips here to log and transfer. I'll have to look.

Allen

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:14:53 pm

I'll be out of the office this afternoon, so just call our regular support number and talk to Kaspar (i'll make him aware of the situation).

He should be able to get you through it.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Allen Zagel
on Aug 19, 2011 at 1:44:03 pm

Thanks much to Joahua and Kaspar. The problem was solved (I hope ha ha).

Turned out to be a setting. I also downloaded the latest drivers.

Thanks again guys
Allen

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Aug 22, 2011 at 5:44:26 pm

No problem!

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]