FORUMS: list search recent posts

HyperDeck Shuttle

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Thomas
HyperDeck Shuttle
on Aug 8, 2011 at 5:29:05 am

About to buy one of these and just relized that the best thing about it is the worst thing about it: uncompressed = huge files!

Is there any other codec besides 10 bit uncompressed 4:2:2?

If there isn't, could BM eventually add ProRez options in the future?

My figures say 10GB per min or 24 mins per the usual 240GB SSD at around $480 ea.

It would be great to get more on a SSD.

ALSO

Does the HDMI input get converted to SDI output and vice/versa? It would be awesome if these I/O's were also converting.

Return to posts index

Mark Baird
Re: HyperDeck Shuttle
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:14:49 am

yes the conversion happens. Both outputs are live no matter which input you are using.

RE the codec. The beauty of this thing is it's simplicity. I assume it is so cheap because they didn't have to add a bunch of codecs to it. They didn't try to make it a swiss army knife. It's a single purpose blade. Perfect for certain things. (Blue Screen shots, things you need to track, effects work.) I bought two SSDs at 256 gig each. Yes that's 50 minutes. I don't expect to ever need more. At least not until the price drops significantly. In indi film I really don't need more recording time then this. I can shuffle the files off to spinning disks faster then I fill up the drives. But yeah. If you shoot lots more footage per day, this isn't for you.

But if they are going to pick another codec I hope it isn't a closed one like pro res. Needs to be an open codec.

Return to posts index

Sean Thomas
on Aug 8, 2011 at 7:26:34 am

the conversion feature is amazing. it's worth buying just for that.

i will still get this, just wish the SDD drives weren't so much $ per min. of video at 10 bit UN.

is it possible for BM to add NLE native codecs in the future? (FCP ProRes)

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:06:39 am

[Sean Thomas] "is it possible for BM to add NLE native codecs in the future? (FCP ProRes)"

If they do, it will be a separate product. Like Mark said, the beauty of the Shuttle is in its simplicity. Adding an encoder will add quite a bit to the cost, and make it a different product.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Patrick Sproule
on Aug 11, 2011 at 7:48:26 am

If it did ProRes (or better still DNxHD since Final Cut has suicided) I would order 6 of the rack mounts and 6 of the camera mounts (that stupidly dont have a V-lock mount option) units tomorrow. No kidding. Do it and I'll write the purchase req. 6 in the truck as iso-recorders and 6 on the back of our older JVC HD-251E's to do away with the evil HDV.

Meanwhile, we have been using the Ki-Pro to great effect in this situation.

Pat

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]