FORUMS: list search recent posts

We had trouble connecting the ATEM 1 M/E production switcher multiview HDMI out

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Goetz
We had trouble connecting the ATEM 1 M/E production switcher multiview HDMI out
on Aug 5, 2011 at 7:13:47 pm

We had trouble connecting the ATEM 1 M/E production switcher multiview HDMI to a Sony KDL-40EX700 monitor. Are you aware of issues? We have another job were I am specing a Sony KDL-22BX320 for multiview but I am thinking to go with a computer monitor. HDMI out of the 1ME to DVI over a passive able to the computer monitor. What have people been using for this?

This was the response from Black Magic support:

The reason this is not working is because you are working with two different color spaces.

Basically, HDMI can carry both the RGB and YUV color space. However, DVI only carries the RGB color space. Our cards only output YUV. As such, the YUV signal is being passed over HDMI but once it hits the DVI adapter it no longer gets passed as the DVI adapter is expecting RGB.

As the colorspace conversion is just being passed and not converted, this is why it will not work. We do have a product that will do the YUV to RGB colorspace conversion but this is specifically from SDI to DVI. We do not have anything that will do HDMI to DVI.

You should find it working with HDMI directly to HDMI input on a HDTV. Or take an AUX out to our HDLink that converts the colorspace to RGB and then DVI out to the monitor.

>>>
I still don't know what to use for a monitor.

Philip Goetz

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
Re: We had trouble connecting the ATEM 1 M/E production switcher multiview HDMI out
on Aug 7, 2011 at 3:06:49 am

Sounds like they are saying anything that accepts HDMI in should be fine, but HDMI out to DVI in won't work. That Sony KDL-40EX700 should fit the bill nicely, it has 4 HDMI inputs, so can't tell you the issue there. Perhaps tinker with the output resolution on the ATEM, or see if there are any input resolution settings on the Sony?

I also just looked at the specs for that Sony KDL-22BX320 TV. It is a 720p television, and the resolution is 1366 X 768. I know the control panel requires minimum 1400 X 900, but I don't know about multiview, seems like the TV should be able to downconvert whatever signal is sent from the ATEM 1 M/E. Personally, though, I would want a higher resolution to get better detail.

There are plenty of computer monitors out there that have HDMI in. For example, I have an ASUS VW246H 24" monitor (1920 X 1080) purchased for multiview purpose for when the ATEM Television Studio is released. It has HDMI input, so I assume it will work, though I can't say definitively until I actually have the ATEM TS in-hand and plug it in. It can be had for ~$200.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: We had trouble connecting the ATEM 1 M/E production switcher multiview HDMI out
on Aug 7, 2011 at 2:51:23 pm

Hi Philip -
when I hook up ATEM's, I use the cheapest pieces of junk LCD monitors (big and small) that I can find in any discount office store or mail order company. What I DONT DO is try to reuse older equipment lying around that doesn't have the right connections for this equipment. Doug's answer was correct. When you build a system, you have to SPEND MONEY. This means that you don't use cables lying around your closet from 2 years ago, or a TV that you had lying around. I can go to your local Office Depot, Staples, or Office Max and find a new cheap 24" LCD monitor with HDMI inputs that would work fine with your ATEM. Blackmagic can't test or qualify every TV that ever came out.

I recently did an AJA Kona LHi install, and the client wanted to use their antique Phillips 42" LCD "HD Ready" TV for the HDMI output. It didn't work. "But it has to work !!!" So I used their cheapo Dell computer monitor that had an HDMI input to prove that the HDMI signal was working fine, but their old piece of junk TV was unsuitable for this application, and I FORCED THEM to go to WalMart and buy a MODERN TV that had HDMI inputs that could display the output of the KONA.

Oh yes - you may not eat for a month, but you will spend money to buy the right TV monitor for this application.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 7, 2011 at 3:11:22 pm

Philip -
after my smart ass answer, I read the entire spec for the Sony
Sony KDL-40EX700, and this is a full 1080p monitor that has every specification that should work with the ATEM switcher. I see no reason why this monitor should not work for you. I can only suggest the usual stupid tests of changing HDMI cables, putting a consumer DVD into the Sony KDL and of course, trying another cheap monitor, as I only use cheap HDMI monitors for the ATEM, with success.

but again, Blackmagic can't qualify every TV on the market. The KDL-40EX700 should work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Philip Goetz
on Aug 9, 2011 at 2:24:16 pm

Thanks for the tips folks. Yesterday we confirmed the Sony KDL-22BX320 works.

Philip Goetz

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Aug 17, 2011 at 2:51:29 am

Another thing worth mentioning is that sometimes a TV might have several HDMI ports on the back but one of them is sometimes marked HDMI/DVI. I have seem some cases where this does not work. Even on modern TV's.

However that said, the comment about the color space should be taken with a grain of salt. I think I understand the spirit it was given in, but doens't adequately explain the situation.

Basically, HDMI can carry both the RGB and YUV color space. However, DVI only carries the RGB color space. Our cards only output YUV. As such, the YUV signal is being passed over HDMI but once it hits the DVI adapter it no longer gets passed as the DVI adapter is expecting RGB.

This is true. However, it is typically no longer a problem as our devices can (via the EDID handshake) provide whatever colorspace a monitor device requests.

So, while the above statement was more blatantly true on earlier devices (such as the older TVs for example) it's typically not true on modern devices.

That said...Bob is exactly right...it would be impossible to test all possible TV's.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Kevin Minderhout
on Feb 26, 2012 at 6:33:55 am

Wanted to add to this for anyone else stumbling upon this problem.

Was having issues connecting the ATEM M/E 1 to my Dell U2412M via HDMI to DVI cable. DVI could send the YUV signal the problem was corrected when I instructed the monitor to accept a YUV color space rather than a RGB.

Return to posts index

Vj Saw
on Sep 24, 2013 at 12:23:33 pm

Hi,
I just wondering if DVI now can carry YUV and RGB or not.

I had the following problem:

I Conntected DVI (Laptop) Adpater to HDMI (Atem) and I ony got a black screen. I send the SIgnal to a videomixer (dont know what mixer) and at another try to a scaler (dont know brand) both getting a signal but only black (so the technician said)

Is that the YUV / RGB Problem? So is the a RGB to YUV Converter?

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:38:15 pm

For all intents and purposes HDMI and DVI-D are the same thing. Data wise they are bit for bit compatible and both will pass RGB and YUV signals (DVI can even pass audio). The problem is you need to set your laptop to the correct display resolution. Specifically it needs to match EXACTLY the format that your switcher / mixer is running at (for example 1920x1080 29hz interlaced for 1080i59.94).

Note that not all laptops graphics cards are capable of outputing the correct resolution. You may need to go to the advanced settings panel to get to the correct settings, and/or if you are on a mac you need to download additional software (like SwitchResX) to get to the correct setting since Apple removed some of the controls from the control panel.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]