FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any suggestions for Software to Work with Blackmagic Decklink Card for Realtime Multi-Layer HD Compositing?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Debono
Any suggestions for Software to Work with Blackmagic Decklink Card for Realtime Multi-Layer HD Compositing?
on Aug 4, 2011 at 1:31:24 pm

I am working on a new internet project where I need to playback a series of HD video clip layers and also add titles/graphics etc in real time. They can not be prerendered to a single layer in advance due to the nature of the project requiring the videos elements to be decided within just a few seconds prior to broadcast.

The final composited output will be streamed as flash media over the internet via a CDN such as Akamai.

In an earlier project I solved the multilayer issue by using a Broadcast Video Hardware Unit (Harris Inscriber Graphics System) that would allow multiple video tracks (orig source was a library of video clips files) to be called up in real-time and then graphics and ticker layers added as well.

Similar to that earlier project I also need to have approx 4 layers of video files that need to be composited in real-time (eg one bg layer of HD video plus 3 layers that have HD video + alpha) plus additonal real-time graphic title and or ticker layers (with just in time data text files feeding the graphic layers).

So the question is ... do any of you have suggestions on how to do this cost effectively?

I was thinking of using one of the BlackMagic Decklink series cards (or Aja or Matrox cards) plus writing some custom code (assuming Blackmagic SDKs or API are avail) and/or utilizing some existing software to work with such cards ... and then taking the final output which likely would be HD-SDI and encoding it into Flash via Osprey HD Encoder (or similar).

Alternatively, I was thinking about doing this directly within Flash/software but my understanding is I am limited to VP6 codec as no other flash codec currently supports alpha ...eg H.264 does not yet although I have read that alpha support is planned for a future release. That said, I am not against using VP6. Is there a way of combining all these VP6 layers within a real time flash too or program?

Or if either of the above approaches are not viable, does anyone have any suggestions for a more cost effective build it yourself hardware solution using something less costly than the original Harris Inscriber approach (which was about 40K).

Any thoughts or recommendations on options or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Return to posts index

nicolas horne
Re: Any suggestions for Software to Work with Blackmagic Decklink Card for Realtime Multi-Layer HD Compositing?
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:14:53 am

try vdmx. i've used it with intensity pro's, and that works just fine

Return to posts index

David Debono
Re: Any suggestions for Software to Work with Blackmagic Decklink Card for Realtime Multi-Layer HD Compositing?
on Aug 9, 2011 at 11:20:28 am

Thanks Nicolas for the suggestion, I will give it a look.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]