FORUMS: list search recent posts

Genlock Blackmagic Decklink quad output

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Kalb
Genlock Blackmagic Decklink quad output
on Jul 28, 2011 at 4:52:49 pm

I am trying to genlock the outputs of a blackmagic decklink quad card so that I can put them into a switch and have it switch between inputs with no re-syncing needed. I set our tri level sync gnerator(aja GEN10) to the proper video format and I see the output video re-sync when the sync generator is connected. However the multiple channels on the card do not seem to be synced together. When i change channels on our SDI switch the video monitor takes time to re-sync. Any ideas on how I can correct this?
Thanks
Adam

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Genlock Blackmagic Decklink quad output
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:13:08 pm

doesn't your HD SDI switcher have frame sync inputs ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Adam Kalb
on Jul 28, 2011 at 7:15:13 pm

I don't think it has frame sync inputs. it has a ref input which I connected but I am not sure what it uses it for. I have a blackmagic smart video hub.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 28, 2011 at 10:26:01 pm

a blackmagic smart videohub is NOT a video switcher, and you CANNOT use a Blackmagic video hub as a switcher. If you want a cheap switcher, buy a Blackmagic ATEM switcher (or another manufacturer).

If you have bought a Blackmagic Videohub in hopes of being able to use it as a video switcher, you have MADE A MISTAKE.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Adam Kalb
on Jul 28, 2011 at 10:37:06 pm

I just use the blackmagic one for testing, since it had a reference input. I really want to use my Harris Platinum MX router, but did not want to invest the $1600 for a sync input card until I was sure I could get it to do what I wanted. I think my real problem is I cannot get the video out of the decklink cards to be genlocked. I believe that if I could get the video genlocked even if the switch knew nothing about the timing worst case scenario would be one frame with parts from both images. Please correct me if my understanding of genlocking is wrong.
Thanks
Adam

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 29, 2011 at 3:56:26 pm

Adam -
A router is not a switcher. I don't care if it's Harris, Utah Scientific, Grass Valley, NVision, Leitch, Pesa, or anyone else - ITS NOT A VIDEO SWITCHER.

IF you don't like the Blackmagic ATEM switcher series, you can buy switchers from GVG, Ross, Broadcast Pix, Panasonic, Sony, For A - even Roland (Edirol) to accomplish exactly what you want. You are trying to reinvent the wheel here, and there is no reason to do it. It's like people who try to use a computer LCD monitor as a Broadcast monitor. That's just crazy.

Buy a switcher. The ATEM will cost less than your genlock module for the Harris router.

A hammer is not a screwdriver. Buy the right tool.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]