FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM tips

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff McCall
ATEM tips
on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:30:38 pm

FWIW...
Just set up our new ATEM 1 M/E today. Had some issues that might help others. Here's my experience.
1. You can't connect direct from the PC to the broadcast panel. The ethernet just shows as 'media disconnected'. Connecting through a switch would not work either, it showed as connected, but simply would not connect. The solution was to connect both the PC and the Broadcast Panel to our LAN. Connected without a problem. The problem here is that if I'm pushing graphics from the PC to the panel, I don't want to do it over my work LAN (100Mb). My solution will be to buy a gigabit router and make my own network. This should speed things up considerably. Additionally, there aren't always two network ports available to make using the LAN practical.
2. As I mentioned in another post, you can't install the 1.1 update over 1.0. The USB wouldn't recognize the panel. Had to un-install the fresh install 1.1.

Other than that, I'm completely pumped by the system. We replaced a 9 year old video toaster. :-}.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: ATEM tips
on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:07:55 am

you don't need a router - you need a Gig E switch. And how much does that cost at the local office store ? $59 ? Is that too much money ?

You can plug in the ATEM and a PC (MAC) to each other, with no switch or router as long as you have both ethernet and USB cables.
If you want to add in the Broadcast Panel, you can use one port of the Broadcast panel to the PC (MAC) and one port to the ATEM. Just don't forget your USB cable.

You DO NOT need a router. And make sure you run the setup, so you can assign an IP address. Assigning an IP address, and having it match your PC (MAC) is everything.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff McCall
on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:19:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. This was just my experience. I plugged in a cisco g-e switch, assigned ip on PC and via usb on the broadcast panel. Power cycled. Couldn't ping, broadcast panel showed no activity (no yellow light). IPs were right, was able to set over usb. Blackmagic support walked me through my PC ip settings.
As far as direct connect between PC and the Broadcast Panel (we didn't pop for the hardware control), plugged in one end then the other and both devices sat idle. Ipconfig showed media disconnected, broadcast panel sat showing no activity (green light flashed once a second or so).
Stretched a enet cable across the room so both were on the LAN and everything lit like Christmas. Software control instantly recognized the panel and I was off to the races.
Maybe this is a terminology thing, the broadcast panel is the 2RU device with the heat sync, right?

Return to posts index

Jeff McCall
on Jul 28, 2011 at 8:21:11 pm

Ok one last post. Had my network gurus out. They brought an ancient 10/100 hub. Success!
IP settings as follows:
PC: 10.50.50.2, mask: 255.255.255.0 No gateway
ATEM switch (rack unit):10.50.50.5 mask:255.255.255.0, gateway:10.50.50.2 (yes I know this is strange, but it was the only way it worked)

Looks like my gig switch is dead or incompatible, so I'll replace it. Also tried both a regular ethernet cable and a crossover cable on a mac and a pc and all fail.
For what it's worth...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 29, 2011 at 3:59:24 pm

you write -
"for what it's worth" -

if you are not willing to spend 50 bucks on a piece of technology to get stuff to work, then you should rent equipment from a company that does this professionally. You can't use old crap to make modern equipment work, and if spending 85 bucks for a Gig E switch from the office store is "too much money" - then something is wrong.

How much does the guy that empties out the garbage at your company get paid ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Blue Melnick
on Jul 29, 2011 at 5:50:06 pm

Hi guys,

So here's what worked for me on two different computers...

Direct connect cat5 computer to atem.
Default settings for atem
Network settings for comp set to manual ip set to same as gateway for atem.

Key.... In both cases i had to have the computer connected to a different network for this to work ... Not sure why. On a Mac pro, 2nd Ethernet connected to a different network using dhcp. On MacBook pro.... Same thing, just via airport.

Bob: problem is not $80 for a small piece of inexpensive equipment... It's just one more thing to have to connect and power and transport. I use the atem in a portable situation.... So less is more :)

Blue

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Aug 3, 2011 at 5:45:23 pm

You could possibly put a DHCP server on your laptop, but yeah, the best way is to put a quick little switch (there's some decent 19" rackable ones at that price point as well) and manually address your machines. I'm setting up with a TV Studio in a gator case and though I'd love to keep the 1RU for something more useful than what amounts to wiring, it seems like the best way.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

jeffrey morrison
on Jan 8, 2012 at 7:35:18 am

bob,

what other capture software works with the atem usb 3.0 ?

also, whats the best editing option for the formats given by the included capture software, the file is very large in my case since im only using SD 720X480

Return to posts index

Slapshot Productions
on Sep 6, 2012 at 8:47:17 am

Hi there,

I had the same problem, changed the IP address from the standard 192:168:10:240 to 192:168:10:1 and hey presto, she came to life.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]