FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVI Extender 1080P support

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Volker
DVI Extender 1080P support
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:27:49 pm

We have a number of DVI extender units in our rental stock and have used them to great effect but I have always been puzzled why BMD have not included 1080p resolutions when the units are set to video mode.
In video mode the extender EDID response to the GPU includes all the video resolutions from SD to interlaced HD but not progressive.

When set to extender mode the units will work at data resolutions up to and including 1920 x 1200 @60 which suggests that the system has bandwidth enough to output up to 1920 x 1080 @50p or 60p at 3G rates. Surely all the ingredients are there right?
So come on BMD, why not finish the job and add these rates to the EDID call to offer even more functionality to these really useful units.

Thanks guys.

Tim Volker
Creative Technology Ltd
London

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
Re: DVI Extender 1080P support
on Jul 19, 2011 at 1:52:08 am

1080p60 and 1080p50 have only been part of the ATSC standard since mid 2008. Give that it takes a good year or so for chips to be available supporting new standards, the device was probably already finalized before those resolutions were standardized.

Return to posts index

Tim Volker
on Jul 19, 2011 at 11:51:16 am

Reuben

Thanks for the prompt response.

I take it that's a no then is it?

Just want to make sure I understand your reply, the DVI extender chip set doesn't include support for 1080p standards or might not include support for 1080p standards?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
on Jul 21, 2011 at 1:59:26 am

Can't say. My company doesn't use any Blackmagic devices for DVI extenders. I was just pointing out that "Video Mode" is only going to support something that is a standardized SDI format, and 1080p60/50 was not considered a standard until just very recently. (at least as far as the ATSC spec is concerned, the latest revision of SMPTE424m is dated sometime in '06)

I'm not involved with BM in any way, so I can't say. It might be possible through a firmware update, but that feasibility depends on possible limitations within the chip itself.

You never know, it might work fine with 1080p50/60 and just not be listed in the EDID. Try sticking an EDID emulator in front of it and see what happens: http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=edid101d

Return to posts index

Steffen Mueller
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:00:50 am

Hi Guys

I had trouble with a Blackmagic DVI Extender on a ATI Fire Pro 8800 GPU. I wasn`t able to use 50 Hz because I only had the chance to choose 30 Hz in the Catalyst control panel. I checked the EDID with an EDID Manager desgin by Extron with the result that the EDID seems to be really badly written. In established timing it says only - and I quote- Do not use. Normally it contains information for the GPU like which frequency and resolution are supported by the connected monitor in this case the DVI Extender.

To solve this problem i`ll use an EDID emulator design by eyevis.

Here are my question:
Have you ever checked the EDID with a tool like i did? I have the impression that the DVI Extender are able to transmit all the resolutions listed at the back of the device but if you are using a professinal GPU which reads the EDID correctly it doesn`t work properly. Because the EDID doesn`t contain all information the GPU needs.

Any expierences?

elchmedia gmbh
motion graphics videotechnik dvd editing compression eventtechnologie

Steffen Müller

Return to posts index

Eric Lucosta
on Jul 14, 2012 at 2:16:02 pm

I am not sure about If BMD dvi extender support 1080p or not but sure Atlona's support it

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]