FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM Television Studio: Shipping/releasing soon?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Fish
ATEM Television Studio: Shipping/releasing soon?
on Jul 17, 2011 at 8:18:47 pm

I'm anxious to get this product in-hand so I can begin incorporating it into our church video system. Is Blackmagic still on schedule with the July release date? Has it shipped yet?

Return to posts index

Ken Saieh
Re: ATEM Television Studio: Shipping/releasing soon?
on Jul 28, 2011 at 1:13:37 am

I was looking for s switcher that would allow live streaming, I don't know why blackmagic stopped short, an encoded H.264 file is nice but why not have it stream live instead of later? There is a huge market for a muticamera live encoder.

Return to posts index

Michael Evans
on Jul 29, 2011 at 9:07:48 pm

Whatdya mean no live? I full plan and running the program out HDMI into FMLE or wirecast. Boom live switching... or is there something i am drastically missing?

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Jul 31, 2011 at 5:26:03 am

To answer my own question, I've been looking around this evening and there's a German web site that pins down the release date as August 8. Whether that is true in America, I don't know, but there is one American web retailer that states it will be shipping in August.

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:12:30 am

OK, now looks like Blackmagic has updated their website to state that the ATEM Television Studio is shipping in September. One sales site has penned the date as September 3rd.

Looks like I'll be using a single camera setup until then.

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Aug 10, 2011 at 12:30:18 am

I guess I am just talking to myself, since I'm the only one posting in this thread, but I have reason to believe the ATEM Television Studio will begin shipping tomorrow. I think those September estimated ship dates were in error. I'll confirm tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Brison Matula
on Aug 11, 2011 at 9:49:01 pm

Hi Doug,

I have great interest in whether you receive your ATEM Television Studio before September, as I am working on project with a tight timeline needing this device. Please keep me updated if you have received and where you purchased it through...thanks!

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Aug 12, 2011 at 3:51:44 am

I pre-ordered from Markertek, and the info displayed when added to the cart said it was being pre-ordered and the estimated ship date was August 10. That was Tuesday. Well, now when you add it to the cart it just says it will be pre-ordered.

Got my hopes up for nothing.

I'm getting this for recordation of church services, and right now my interim solution is recording everything on a single camera. This is our first foray into video recording, so at least we're learning our hardware and technique as we wait.

I'll respond again when I get word from Markertek that it has shipped.

Return to posts index

Rudy Longarini
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:01:52 am

I too am very anxious to see when this switcher will be released....Just got the $2,500.00 ATEM1 M/E from B&H..on Friday Aug. 19th then I realized that this $999.00 model (Television Studio)can do what The ATEM1 can do: 4 camera HDMI switcher with H.264 conversion just like The ATEM1, in addition the ATEM1 M/E may not have the H.264 capablity like this newer model does?? I would be saving about 1500 BUCS too!! Thats big!!!!

I'll be calling Blackmagic tech support Monday to verify either way?!....going to return the ATEM1 M/E unit and try to get this newer unit instead.....giving Marketech a call also...please keep me appraised of your developments....I'll keep you appraised of mine?!

Return to posts index

Bryan Hudson
on Aug 26, 2011 at 12:38:14 am

I spoke today with representative at BlackMagic Design in California about the holdup with shipping the ATEM Television Studio. I asked if there was a delay in manufacturing. I was told the ATEM Television Studio is still in development and testing trying to resolve an issue with the H.264 encoding. He said that they may have to build and ship it without the H.264 encoding feature and add a software patch later. He hoped they could ship mid to late September. Starting to feel like I might regret purchasing the first generation of ATEM Television Studio. But, I still want it!

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Aug 26, 2011 at 2:42:35 am

You're breaking my heart, but thank you for sharing that information.

I figure that part of the equation was based on the H.264 Pro Recorder, and I've seen more than a few posts here concerning issues with that piece of hardware.

Nothing to do but wait.

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:47:45 pm

Raising this thread from the dead to state that I FINALLY received an e-mail today notifying me that the ATEM Television Studio has shipped. Likely won't get to me until Monday.

We'll finally know if it lives up to the hype.

Return to posts index

Matt Penner
on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:58:07 am

Where did you order it from? B&H Photo still shows that it is on pre-order and I haven't received an email yet from them that they have it in stock.

Let us know how it works out! :) I'm especially anxious to find out about saving the H.264 footage out to a USB drive.

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Oct 14, 2011 at 11:56:49 am

Markertek.

The ATEM TVS works well in my limited testing, including H.264 recording. Gripes: It hates lengthy HDMI cords (or at least cheap ones), doesn't have an on/off switch, requires AES/EBU audio via its BNC connection, and still doesn't have standard def implemented. But it's an amazing product for the price.

Return to posts index

Thierry Humeau
on Oct 14, 2011 at 2:00:03 pm

Got mine too and here are a few comments following initial testing...

- Despite a few shortcomings on first use, $995 for this piece of hardware and software is a steal. There is no product on the market that offer this kind of functionality and built quality in that price range.

- Audio needs to be fed through the AES/EBU input so, you'll have to spend an extra $400 to $700 to get an A/D converter box + maybe some kind of sync generator to do this. You could theoratically feed audio directly to your recording device (deck, solid state recorder,....) but this will introduced quite a bit of delay due the processing lag introduced to the video by ATEM TS

- The specs sheet says Media Pool is limited to 2 graphics. On my TS, I can load all 36 Media Pool slots so, I am not sure if this limitation was lifted on the final release of TS. Or the limit may just be with graphic w/ alpha channels. Will do more testing today, but if there is indeed a 2 graphics w/alpa limit in the Media Pool for ATEM TS, this would seriously cripple the system even for simple live situations when a few keys need to be rolled in sequence.

- All graphics imported in the Media Pool need to be reimported when ATEM TS is powered off or when quitting ATEM's Control Pannel. I am not sure why but this is a real pain as graphics take a lot of time to reimport and reorganize in the Media Pool. Media Pool does not keep track on any previously imported graphic after a restart.

- When keying graphics, you need to configure keying attributes for alpha channels , I wish the system could automatically handle graphic keys with file that have builtin transparency such as PNGs, TARGA, Photoshop, etc...

- I find the interface a bit confusing when juggling between DSKs and Media Players. We need a streamlined interfaced when access to graphics and keying parameters can be all set in the same place

- Customization of the MultiView display on TS is limited to just labeling sources and choosing from one of the 4 layout presets. This is annoying as there is no way to rearrange or get it off blank, unused source windows. This being a bit critical for the operator confort and precision, full customization should really be made avail to TS as well.

So, looking at the limitations above, potential buyers may consider spending more and go with the next model up, the ATEM 1 M/E which has analog audio I/Os, more Media Pool capacity, DVEs, etc... but surprisingly, no H.264 encoding. This is a serious oversight from Black Magic to not have offered H.264 encoding accross the ATEM product line. I am wondering if H.264 encoding could be added to the ATEM 1 M/E or 2 M/E models down the road.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Return to posts index

Thierry Humeau
on Oct 15, 2011 at 1:03:54 pm

Fyi, I noticed an error for the ATEM TS Specs on both, Black Magic's web site specs and operation manual. The ATEM TS can hold 20 stills (w/ alpha channel) in the Media Pool, not 2 as stated in Black Magic literature. The ATEM 1 M/E and 2 M/E can hold 32 stils.

Return to posts index

Thierry Humeau
on Oct 15, 2011 at 3:54:43 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple, low cost A/D converter to feed XLR balanced audio to the AES/EBU digital audio input on the ATEM Television Studio? Most A/D audio box I see cost almost as much as the TS alone. It almost makes more sense to buy an ATEM 1 M/E instead which comes with analog audio I/Os.

Take care,

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:41:13 pm

Yes. The Behringer Ultramatch SRC2496, which costs $164. You'll need the cabling to feed XLR into the SRC2496, and a RCA to BNC cable to feed the RCA digital audio out to the BNC input of the ATEM TVS in the AES/EBU format.

Haven't done extensive testing, but working well thus far.

Return to posts index

Thierry Humeau
on Oct 15, 2011 at 5:51:19 pm

Thanks Doug. Pretty amazing piece of gear for the price. My typical setup to use the TS is a small events with 2 or 3 cameras where we are fed house analog audio. We record the HD-SDI output of the TS to a XDCAM HD deck and feed the house analog audio to it. Doing so, create a recording with quite a delay between audio and video. So, I assume that using the Beringher A/D converter and feedeing the house audio into the TS will alleviate this. What do you think? Also, do I need some kind of sync generator to feed both, TS and A/D converter?

Best,

Return to posts index

Doug Fish
on Oct 15, 2011 at 6:27:54 pm

In my testing, I *might* hear the audio arriving slightly before the video, but it would be imperceptible unless you are carefully looking for it. However, I can't guarantee anything to you, because it's always a matter of matching up the delays in the audio and the video. Depending on your setup, you may have more or less video delay than I have. My suggestion is to get the SRC2496 (or whatever you end up purchasing) and see if there's a problem. I *think* it will eliminate the delay from your existing setup, but I don't know how exacting your demands are.

The ATEM TVS syncs your video, but has no audio control options--whatever you are sending in as audio at that moment is what it mates with the video. Thus, any audio delay necessary will require an outside solution. Genlocking is really beyond me, I'm just a novice.

Return to posts index

Thierry Humeau
on Oct 15, 2011 at 7:12:07 pm

Thanks Doug. Not too picky about the delay as long as it is not obvious. Right now by feeding analog audio directly to the deck and having the video processed by the ATEM TS, there is almost 1/2 sec delay so, it's bad. I am sure feeding digital audio to the TS will fix this.

Take care.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]