FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recording BM MJPEG???

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Carmichael
Recording BM MJPEG???
on Jul 13, 2011 at 2:04:23 pm

So we are trying to record MJPEG HD via a Decklink SDI card on a fairly high end HP workstation with a FAST RAID 0 config. We can record uncompressed 10bit HD via Media Express without a problem. When we try to record MJPEG HD it will bail and drop from as soon as the picture gets complex. It is a dual dual-core cpu systems ( 4 cores total) running XP. We contacted support to see what system specs the machine needs to have to handle MJPEG HD and were told they couldn't help because they are not system system integrators. WHAT??? They couldn't tell us what specs and machine needs to have to make they products work????

So, since BM can't help us with their own products, anyone else have any luck recording MJPEG HD without dropped frames. If so, what OS/system config are you running? Thanks a Million!

Scott

P.S.
I love your products BM, but your tech support stinks.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Recording BM MJPEG???
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:06:14 pm

I'm sorry to hear this. I do not find that kind of response acceptable. I'll check into it. In the meantime I've had one of my senior techs look up your information in our call logs and give you a call. You should have a message.

To directly address your issue. Hard drive performance is going to not be an issue as we record and playback MJPEG on a single hard drive all the time. CPU is the most important factor here.

I have to say, that I my self am not 100% sure of the minimum CPU required to encode/decode an MJPEG file, but that's mostly because I haven't seen a processor in a long time that couldn't handle it.

You mentioned you had an HP workstation. I've worked with most of those and probably have one. Is it an 8200, 8400, 8600, z800? If you let me know I can certainly have that checked out.

Normally i'd ask how many hard drives you have in your RAID0 but it seems you can do 10bit uncompressed, so I doubt there is a problem there at all...and like I said, we work with MJPEG on one drive all the time. It won't ever be a problem unless the drive is really full. So I think its likely a CPU thing.

That being said, I'm relativity certain that the MJPEG codec is single threaded so 1 CPU or 40, its all the same. So if you can get back to me, or get in contact with Albert (who was the tech that called this morning for you) we can actually figure out why this isn't working for you.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Scott Carmichael
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:44:07 pm

How do I get ahold of you directly? OR please email me at sacarmic@indiana.edu.

Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:36:34 pm

I've been in and out of my office all day. But if you call our main line 408.954.0500. You should get ahold of Trina and tell her you'd like to talk to me. I'll tell her to expect your call.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Ken Mitchell
on Jul 16, 2011 at 10:58:20 pm

I was able to record HD-MJPEG with the Blackmagic capture program and with premiere on a dual xeon workstation with no problem. Then about 1.5 years ago it stopped working and I was not able to do it anymore even with a clean install and no other software on the computer except for BM and Premiere CS3. Now I noticed that the BM software does not even have the option of MJPEG capture.... any ideas?

Return to posts index

Scott Carmichael
on Jul 17, 2011 at 12:10:30 am

We switched the machine from XP 32 to Win7 64 and it seems to be recording without a problem now.

Scott

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:12:47 pm

Odd, the MJPEG codec should never have been removed from any particular OS build....But glad to hear you got it up and running.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]