FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrascope - GPU vs CPU

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve voyk
Ultrascope - GPU vs CPU
on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:50:24 am

Hi guys,
Just got my BM Ultrascope up and running.
I'm using a HP xw4600 2.5GHz Core2 Quad (Q9300), NVidia Quadro570 and 4GB RAM with Vista. I upgraded to a 64GB SSD drive and the boot up time is great given it's only Vista and Ultrascope on this box.

The problem is I'm getting stuttery scope display (like frame dropping) when I'm playing back my images. Is this the result of the GPU or CPU as I'd be happy to upgrade the GPU to something newer.

Also, is there any reason why the scales on the waveform and RGB parade on right hand side can't have 10% increments like our traditional scopes in the past. I understand the mV scale on the left hand side but generally I'd love to know exactly where 80% luminance is for example. Perhaps a user definable overlay would be useful ?

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Ultrascope - GPU vs CPU
on Jul 13, 2011 at 3:10:36 pm

you MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST
use one of the exact specified graphics cards that Blackmagic
tells you to use. If you do not, you will get the results that you are seeing. I have used incredibly expensive NVidia cards that were not specified, and they DID NOT WORK.

If you want your ultrascope to work, follow the rules. If you say "well, why don't these other cards work" - then you will continue to suffer. Only use the specified cards they tell you to use.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jul 13, 2011 at 7:02:28 pm

However much I'd hate to be condemned by the Wrath of Bob, cards not specifically on BMD list do work, and BMD in fact says so:
"Suitable graphics cards can be purchased for less than US$100. More expensive graphics cards are no guarantee of compatibility as the features may differ from those above. Other graphics adapters that have a similar specification to those above may work, but these are the ones we have tested in house. Most cards newer than this will work."

The statement in bold is an acknowledgement by BMD that some cards other than the ones they tested, will work.

In my case, GeForce 8800GTS did work flawlessly despite not being on the list and also being older and slower than the ones on the list.

BMD also says here that "Blackmagic Ultrascope requires a graphics card that supports Open GL 2.1 or better and have a Texture Fill Rate of >22,000 MT/s."

In other words, research your card to ensure it does have hardware support for OpenGL 2.1 and texture fill rate, and it will likely work.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 13, 2011 at 8:49:49 pm

Alex of course is correct, and the official list from Blackmagic is outdated, and many of the "certified cards" are no longer available, so it is Blackmagic's responsibility to create a new updated list
so that we can know exactly what graphics cards are supported.

Otherwise, you just have to get "lucky" to guess what current cards will work.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:17:50 pm

Actually there are a number of cards on that list that work. Including a 580 which I added last week.

Obviously there are a TON of cards out there. Generally many of the midlevel cards will work, and even the entry level cards will too, quadros are still hit or miss though some of them NOW meet the requirement. Its because there are so many cards, that we posted the specific requirement that the Ultrascope application is looking for. This way people can make good decisions regardless of the fact that graphics cards are out dated in 3 months.

I hope that helps to clarify.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:13:15 pm

This is really the key line:
BMD also says here that "Blackmagic Ultrascope requires a graphics card that supports Open GL 2.1 or better and have a Texture Fill Rate of >22,000 MT/s."

Most of the time the Quadro boards do not meet this requirement. That is why most of the boards are GeForce or Radeon.

It's an odd thing that mid level gaming cards are better for the Ultrascope application than the higher end Quadro.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

steve voyk
on Jul 15, 2011 at 5:37:00 am

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the replies.
I ended up buying a Geforce GTX550Ti and it works perfectly, no stutter or frame delay.

This card was only released in March and here in Oz was $169.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]