FORUMS: list search recent posts

hdmi 1.3 or 4 or?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
hdmi 1.3 or 4 or?
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:38:15 pm

hello
I have the Extreme3D+ I believe and I am curious what type of hdmi cable to purchase from b&h to go out to my panny plasma vt25 for best quality - is it even 10 bit I assume not because it's not a dreamcolor or Flanders etc.

I am using hdlink already to go out displayport to my dreamcolor but I now want to also use the hdmi out on the card to simultaneously go to a larger plasma for client viewing.

also curious how I can check my extreme card to make sure it's the 3D+ and not just 3D.

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: hdmi 1.3 or 4 or?
on Jul 11, 2011 at 12:11:08 pm

Hi Sean,

The HD Extreme 3D supports the HDMI 1.3 3D modes, and the HD Extreme 3D+ on top of those supports the HDMI 1.4 frame packing mode. You don't however need a 1.4 cable to use these features. The only real addition the 1.4 cable was an Ethernet channel, that we don't use. So just about any HDMI cable will suffice, even the really cheap ones will generally be OK.

The actual model of card you have will be listed in the Blackmagic Control Panel, where it says 'Settings for your...'. It should also say on the serial number sticker both on the card itself, and on the packaging.

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Jul 14, 2011 at 4:14:26 am

Thanks for the reply,
I was under the impression and I even asked to make sure with b&h that i was buying the 3D+ so before I go and bug them about this what am I missing in only have the 3D?
Any info you can provide would be great as I am colorist just moving over to Davinci after having invested in all of the hardware, panel and now software.
thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:29:21 am

The only notable change from the 3D to 3D+ was the addition of HDMI 1.4 frame packing support. Otherwise the card is much the same.

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Jul 14, 2011 at 2:48:50 pm

Hey Chris thanks for getting back to me!

So what I still don't understand is exactly what that difference is...you said in your first response about Ethernet &frame packing but I am hoping you can explain that a little bit more precisely - excuse my tech ignorance here but I just want to make sure I wont regret not having the capability as some point especially since the 3D+ is what I asked for when i placed the order and just now realized that is not what i got!

thanks in advance
s

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:33:11 pm

As Chris mentioned the only difference in the card is the upgrade to the HDMI chip. In the Decklink HD Extreme 3D the HDMI chip is 1.3. In the Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ the HDMI chip is 1.4a.

The cards look identical. So the only way to tell the difference is the serial number sticker which will say specifically what model. The other way to tell what model it is, is to look at the title bar of the Blackmagic Control panel, which will say Decklink HD Extreme 3D or 3D+.

So...what does all that mean?
In the 3D it supports the typical side by side, top/bottom and Interleaved 3D modes. This is basically a 2D raster with two images stuffed into it. The monitor takes these frames, and separates them, stretches them back out and displays as 3D. This is well and good, and very common. But of course, who wants to loose half of their frame data. So they introduced frame packing over HDMI..this of course requires HDMI 1.4 which required for us to update the board. This allows the board to (and i'm oversimplifying) essentially put out 2 full frames simultaneously. Those two frames are independently displayed by the TV.

So, that's the difference. Usage of frame packed HDMI requires a TV of course that supports it (look for HDMI 1.4a on the box). If you connect the HDMI out of the Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ it will detect if the tv is compatible. If it is, it will use the new tech. If it doesn't, it will use whatever 3D pattern you've specified in the Blackmagic Control Panel.

So hopefully I didn't cause more questions than answers.

To answer your question about HDMI cables. If you wish to use Frame Packing features (in HDMI 1.4a) you should have a 1.4a rated cable.

HOWEVER, do NOT buy these from Frys or Bestbuy as the guy there is likely to force a 150 dollar cable down your throat. It's not necessary.

Check out:
And this is also useful and might help you understand more about the cable thing:

Please note I have nothing to do with those sites other than that's where I personally buy cables from, I didn't have anything to do with writing that article, I just find it helpful as a primer because retail stores will lie about this stuff and tell you silly things like you need a 240Hz cable.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:53:46 pm

Hey Joshua,

thanks so much for the detailed response!

Were you trying to include links in your response btw i dont see any?

Sounds like I need to contact B&H about this and hope they correct there mistake

I have the Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" 3D television - do you know if this will take 1.4a by chance? I think regardless I will want the most 'capable card' moving forward i guess we'll see if B7H corrects there mistake - I also cant help but wonder about newer cards and devices coming out from BMD - i mainly use resolve and color so would be curious to get your thoughts on this topic

cheers
s

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 14, 2011 at 9:34:18 pm

I was trying to include a link.

The first was http://www(dot)mycablemart(dot)com

The faq was the same address with the following behind it:
/help/hdmi_which_one.php

not sure why those links didn't show up.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

John Sellars
on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:35:46 am

BMD support today said the 3D is 8 bit over HDMI and one must have a 3D+ to get 10 bit. Is this true? I know the 1.3 spec is 10 (or 12) bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]