FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony NEX and Hyperdeck Shuttle

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Ravens
Sony NEX and Hyperdeck Shuttle
on Jul 6, 2011 at 12:29:31 pm

ARRRGGHHHHHH
I just got a new Hyperdeck Shuttle for my Sony NEX FS100. The Shuttle doesn't recognize the FS100. It won't recognize the NEX-VG10 either. I know my unit works OK because it WILL recognize the HDMI output from my Nanoflash.

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
Re: Sony NEX and Hyperdeck Shuttle
on Jul 7, 2011 at 12:16:26 am

Hi Bill,

If I compare the recording formats of the Sony NEX FS100 with the formats supported by HyperDeck Shuttle, I can only see one that wouldn't work which would be 1080p60 which Sony seem to call PS mode. All the other formats should work fine. Can you please experiment with the other formats and see if any of them work? Alternatively, is there any control over what HDMI signal is output from this camera, e.g. 1080i60 vs 1080p60?

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jul 7, 2011 at 1:03:25 pm

Hi Luke...

yes, I've experimented with all the possible modes and combinations. None of them work. This cam will output 1080p or 1080i from the HDMI port. In addition, the record format is selectable 1080p or 1080i. None of the combinations work. The video signal is, simply, not recognized.

As a side note, I can feed the signal to my Nanoflash HDMI port...then feed a signal from my Nanoflash HDMI output port to the Hyperdeck, and the Hyperdeck WILL recognize the signal.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Jul 7, 2011 at 6:49:07 pm

Bill-

Any update on this issue? Anyone from Blackmagic care to comment further? I'm about to cancel my order for the Shuttle until I hear it's working...it would be a really bad thing to buy a couple of expensive non-returnable SSDs and find out the Shuttle doesn't work as advertised.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jul 7, 2011 at 7:57:46 pm

Hi Joe...

No joy, yet. They say they're working on it. Sounds like their in-house FS100 won't duplicate the problem...sigh.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:09:14 pm

Actually our in house FS100 does show the problem. I tested it here in the US (I had it for a tradeshow) and when it didn't work I sent it via carrier pigeon to Aus (just kidding, I sent it fast) so that the team could look at it.

So we are very serious about this and want to make sure that this issue is resolved as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jul 15, 2011 at 2:27:14 am

Thanks for the update, Joshua.

I hope you can find a solution quickly.

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Jul 8, 2011 at 7:13:25 am

Hi Bill,

As per our email discussion, we're looking into this and I'll keep you updated on the progress.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Shawn Sutherland
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:30:32 pm

How about this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/620830-REG/Blackmagic_Design_CONVMBHS...

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:34:25 pm

It seems the Hyperdeck works only with the conventional HDMI formats of 720p, 720i, and 1080i. It does not work with 1080p on the FS100. I beleive this is happening because, unlike earlier models, the FS100 outputs in a native 1080p60 format, that is recorded internally, in all 1080p modes as 1080psf(progressive segmented) . Decoding of true 1080p60 is not routinely handled by any of the current recorders. The only application I've found that can even recognize the native 1080P60 format is Adobe CS5.5.

I just hope that 3rd party vendors, like Convergent Design, BMD, Sound Devices and ATOMOS can get it together enough to offer firmware updates to 1080P60 in the near future, however, I expect that the processors in these 3rd party recorders can't handle the data rate of 1080p60.

Return to posts index

Shawn Sutherland
on Jul 8, 2011 at 6:22:15 pm

Has anybody tried using an HDMI to HD-SDI converter?

http://www.aja.com/products/converters/converters-hd-ha5.php

HDMI from the camera to the converter.

SDI from the converter to the Hyperdeck Shuttle.

I don't mean to go all Rube Goldberg on you here, but if you happen to own a converter, an FS100, and the shuttle, it sure doesn't cost anything to try it out.

The worst that can happen is that it won't work.

Big deal.

It already doesn't.

But if it does work, well hey wouldn't that be cool.

Just a crazy idea.

(OK, you can laugh now)

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jul 14, 2011 at 6:12:17 pm

I have tried this with our own HDMI-SDI converter. And on the FS100 it does work.

My thinking is there is a handshaking issue that is causing the devices to not communicate. And with the HDMI to SDI converter there is no handshake issue and it locks right up.

Of course I am not recommending or suggesting ANYONE go out and buy a converter to get this to work. We will fix this issue.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Shawn Sutherland
on Sep 9, 2011 at 10:03:13 am

As a proud owner of the NEX-FS100UK Camera with the Hyperdeck Shuttle I can't begin to tell you how pleased I was to hear that there's a simple Workflow for removing the 2:3 Pull Down using Apple Compressor available with Final Cut Pro Studio:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2011/08/19/simple-workflow-for-removing-23-pull-do...

Couldn't be happier.

There's just one little problem.

I don't own a Mac.

I own a PC with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

OK now what?

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Douglas Villalba
on Jul 11, 2011 at 10:42:40 pm

A cople of things to check.
1. HDMI is 1.4 4:4:4 or 4:2:2
2. Camera is 8 bit Recorder is 10 bit

Douglas Villalba

http://www.advertising-villa.com

info@dvtvproductions.com

Chroma-Key - Studio, Decklink HD Extreme, HVX200, A1 & HV20. VDSLR, GlideTrack, Rails, GlideCam, Jib

Return to posts index

Jacky Lau
on Jul 15, 2011 at 1:59:08 pm

I have same problem in my Sony HXR-NX5 ..... no output when connect to HyperDeck Shuttle HDMI
I connect to other HDMI device, just output mono Green color image like this ....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]