FORUMS: list search recent posts

davinci revival configuration

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nir pinkasy
davinci revival configuration
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:34:48 pm

hi
can anyone help with davinci configuration (hardware )
there is no documentaion on the blackmagic site.
and also dose anyone know if it is possible to get a trial version

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
Re: davinci revival configuration
on Jun 16, 2011 at 6:18:22 pm

I don't think there is a trial version as of yet. I've been using Revival for about 5 years and it is a very powerful application. We use it for restoring old 35mm film footage as well as fixing digital issues on new footage.

As far as HW configs. Ours was one of the older turnkey systems. It looks like it's "bring your own hardware" now. Our's is built around a Supermicro MOBO and and rackmount chassis. The system must have an Nvidia GPU. The PDF I have is from 2009 so it's not worth much now.

But... fast Xeon CPU's... biggest and fastest you can afford. 6-core Westmere I'd recommend. The app uses Hyper Threading. You will also want LOTS of RAM. As much as you can fit on the MOBO. 24Gigs MIN if you are doing batch stuff.

Fast storage. Ours is on a Bright ADIC-based SAN. You can use with direct attached storage as well as TCP.

Best with Fibre Channel or SAS RAIDS. Storage for these systems is it's own separate drama fest.

It runs on Linux (Centos now, not longer Redhat Ent) ... boo!!! yay!! Great and sucky all at the same time.

I'm praying for a Mac version, but whatever.

On Revival Pro you get unlimited network processing... so if you do tons of batch processing (only on the Pro version) you can set up a nice render farm with only the cost of the HW.

The batch processing uses is multi-processor w/HT. Some of the algorithms are very processor intensive so having lots of cores available on a small or big cluster is great (or a must depending on home much work you do).

Go for it man... you'll never look back!!

- Jonathohn

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jun 21, 2011 at 6:00:51 pm

Jonathon is right, there is no trial issue as of right now. Also I believe we've certified the HP z800 as a system that works nicely with Revival so integration should not be too much of an issue.

I'm not sure if there is a configuration guide but I can check into it and answer back here.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Gary Adams
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:10:16 pm

I have a simple configuration guide for the HP Z800 that I could eamil if you would private email me at garya at blackmagic-design dot com. This guide assumes some Linux knowledge. It doesn't talk about the storage as the sky is the limit on posibilities. I think Jonathan did a great job with the description.

Regards, Gary

Gary Adams
DaVinci Revival Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

nir pinkasy
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:35:26 am

thanks

Return to posts index

Rishiraj Sangani