FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro Firmware Update Issues

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Wood
Intensity Pro Firmware Update Issues
on Jun 12, 2011 at 11:21:02 am

Hi guys,

I was given an Intensity Pro for Christmas and used it with great success in my old computer:
AMD Athlon II X2 64-Bit CPU
WinFast Motherboard (I'm unsure of the model)
Windows 7 Eternity (Ultimate) 32-bit OS
2GB DDR2 RAM
400W PSU

With this older computer I was able to record uncompressed non-HD footage perfectly, but I could only get around 10fps if I tried to record compressed 720p from my Xbox 360 (Component input).

Now I have upgraded my computer to a much more modern one:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition CPU
MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard
Windows 7 Eternity (Ultimate) 64-Bit OS
4GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
650W Alpine PSU

I hoped that with the extra, faster RAM and the hexa-core processor I would be able to record compressed HD 720p footage (or uncompressed if possible) to my USB 3.0 External HDD (2 TB).

I installed the Intensity Pro in the PCIe 2.0 x1 slot on the motherboard and booted up my computer. I then installed the latest driver from the Blackmagic website (Desktop Video 8.0.1 at this time). The installation asked me to reboot my computer so I did so. When it had rebooted it asked to do a firmware update, so I clicked update.

Immediately all 6 cores shot to around 95% and the computer locked up. The mouse movement was incredibly jerky and the system clock slowed down. I left it running for about 20 minutes in the hope that something would happen, but when I came back it was still showing the progress bar of the firmware update window, and the system clock was 15 minutes behind the actual time.

At this point I held in the power button on the computer to kill it. After taking out the card and rebooting, the computer ran completely fine. I then tried the card in the x4 slot, and a x8 slot for good measure. All have the same issue with the firmware update process.

After trying the latest driver with the Intensity Pro in each of those 3 slots, I removed Desktop Video and tried installing the driver and software which came with the card itself (Intensity 3.9.1), hoping that this would mean there would be no need for a firmware update. Alas the firmware update window returned and froze the computer. Once again after removing the card, the computer runs fine.

I am at a loss as to what could be causing this issue, and would appreciate any help you could provide to try and resolve it.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Intensity Pro Firmware Update Issues
on Jun 12, 2011 at 10:54:07 pm

I hate to say this but it sounds like you may have bricked the card. When updating the firmware on most any device, stopping or turning off while the update is in progress usually ruins the device.

Return to posts index

Jamie Wood
on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:18:08 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I tried the card back in my old computer, and media express recognises it fine. I will admit that I didn't try plugging a video source into it, but I'm almost certain that the card still works.

Jamie

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:59:19 pm

That's a good sign. Maybe there's just a compatibility issue with your new machine, or that express slot.

Return to posts index

Jamie Wood
on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:05:38 am

Ok then, I guess really what would be the easy fix is to sell the Intensity Pro and buy a Shuttle.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:19:50 am

It's harder to get a compatible PC that handles the Shuttle than the card.

If you do want the Shuttle, I reccommend the Asus P6DX58 Premium
It has the right chipset and 2 compatible USB 3 ports. I use one at work and at home, both work perfect.

Return to posts index

Jamie Wood
on Jun 14, 2011 at 6:40:39 am

My computer has the Renesas USB 3.0 chipset - isn't that the one which works with the Shuttle?

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:59:45 pm

Yes. What chipset does it have?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]