FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cheap software that can use the Decklink SDI card

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Anderson
Cheap software that can use the Decklink SDI card
on Jun 7, 2011 at 6:51:13 pm

I am looking for affordable software that I can import a video file into and play out the file using the Decklink SDI card. I know it works with Final Cut and Premiere Pro, but I was hoping there would be a cheaper solution. I don't need to edit anything, just load a variety of video codecs into the software and play them out of the sdi card. I asked Blackmagic about Adobe Premiere Elements already and they cannot use that software. I was also told VLC and Quicktime do not work. Does anybody know of any other software that I can use? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Cheap software that can use the Decklink SDI card
on Jun 7, 2011 at 8:02:44 pm

I guess the included MediaExpress is ruled out because of limited codecs. What about Vegas Pro?

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Matt Anderson
on Jun 7, 2011 at 9:01:11 pm

Is Vegas cheap? The tech from Blackmagic said it would work with Vegas but I figured the price range was similar to Final Cut and Premiere.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Jun 7, 2011 at 9:15:47 pm

Yes, compared to Pr and FCP. It costs around $300-400 for a "white box" copy that is supposed to be bundled with other hardware or with a system.

Alex (DV411)

Return to posts index

Reuben Martin
on Jun 8, 2011 at 5:06:28 am

VLC is actually an option IF you build your own from the tip of the development branch. The 1.2.X development branch has added support for decklink. Until 1.2.0 is officially released though, you will have to build your own in order to use that functionality. (I've built it, and it does work)

Return to posts index

Matt Anderson
on Jun 8, 2011 at 8:21:12 pm

Do you know when VLC 1.2.0 will be released?

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Jun 12, 2011 at 4:50:09 pm

If you wait about a month, Blackmagic is releasing a free version of Resolve which will probably do what you're asking.

Return to posts index

Andreas Wideroe
on Jun 20, 2013 at 8:44:00 pm

Actually, Blackmagic Decklink works perfectly with Premiere Elements. However, it will require you to move some plugins and files into the correct locations in the Premiere Elements install folders.

I did test and verified this a while back with Premiere Elements 4 (on Windows XP) using a Decklink Studio card.

What you need to figure out is which Blackmagic Driver to use. Premiere Elements is a stripped down version of Premiere Pro, but they dont share the same version numbers.

Good luck :-)

Andreas

---
Filmtek AS
http://www.filmtek.no

Filmshooting | Com
http://www.filmshooting.com

Return to posts index

John Sujishi
on Nov 7, 2013 at 6:37:20 pm

Andreas, can you explain exactly what plugins and files you moved and where. I found this on the BMD forums and it seems like you have to use the Pro version with their hardware.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168&p=1017&hilit=pre...

I'd appreciate any help.

Thank you,
John

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Aug 28, 2014 at 6:26:48 pm

Interesting thread. VLC no longer seems to work with Desklink cards, or if it does everyone on the forum wont admit it.

Vargas have limited H.264 support so that is not a goer for us.

Resolve is an interesting solution, we have a powerful computer but old graphics cards.

Has anyone found any other good options?

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]