FORUMS: list search recent posts

Questions about using the Blackmagic codec with no card installed

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wesley Dysart
Questions about using the Blackmagic codec with no card installed
on Jun 1, 2011 at 10:05:57 pm

I have some footage that was captured at a professional facility using a Blackmagic Decklink card as 10-bit AVI. I have installed the Blackmagic codecs at home (version 4.9 is all I could find).

What I'm hoping to be able to do is create a Blackmagic session and edit the footage on my home system. So far I'm getting the impression that even with the codecs installed all I can do is view the files, but no editing or exporting. Basically, I'm not seeing an option in Adobe Premiere for a 10-bit Blackmagic session.

Can Blackmagic footage be edited/exported on a system that doesn't have a Blackmagic card? If so, how does one go about it?

If it's not possible, is there some way to render the material to a generic 10-bit file? It seems odd to me that there would be a codec that only works when the hardware is there, because I don't need any physical connections here, just trying to edit together a demo reel.

Basically, the cost of renting the suite for hours on end would justify the cost of buying a Blackmagic card, however, I'm really just doing a favor for a cinematographer friend so free is the name of the game.

If anyone can help me here I'd be grateful.

-Wesley

Return to posts index

Robert Thalheim
Re: Questions about using the Blackmagic codec with no card installed
on Jun 2, 2011 at 12:48:09 pm

Yes it is possible. Before I got a video card this was my way too.
Just download the latest driver (Desktop Video 8.0.1).
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/

Choose your OS than 'deck link' than 'studio" (for example).

After installation you'll find the export options as well in Premiere Pro or Final Cut.

LG, Robert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]