FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 Decklink Duo

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elendill elendill
3 Decklink Duo
on May 11, 2011 at 7:57:07 am

Hi,

Can i put 3 BlackMagic DeckLink Duo cards in a mac pro and deal with 6 HD signals without any problem?
Should I take an 8-core or 12-Core mac?
Am i dreaming ? lol

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: 3 Decklink Duo
on May 11, 2011 at 2:00:18 pm

you are dreaming.

You would buy the NEW Blackmagic QUAD card. You need software to run the Duo or Quad. Specifically, Softron Movie Recorder.

To accomplish this, you will need a 12 Core (not your old cheap Quad Core) MAC Pro with 16 Gig RAM. You put in the Blackmagic QUAD interface card ($995) and run FOUR seats of Softron Movie Recorder ($1100 per channel - total price $4400). This will allow you to run 4 HD-SDI ProRes422HQ streams into your system at one time. So, what if you put in TWO QUAD cards - the MAC is not fast enough to do more than 4 streams of HD at the same time. If you put in two of these cards, you can do 8 streams of STANDARD DEF, but not HD. And of course, you need a drive array that can handle recording this much data at one time. A $200 Firewire drive won't cut it.

So your costs are -
MAC Pro 12 Core with 16 Gig RAM
Blackmagic Quad interface card
4 licenses of Softron Movie Recorder
A big drive array.

Want to do 6 streams - buy another duplicate system.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Elendill elendill
on May 13, 2011 at 12:21:51 pm

I paste you one of the answers someone's just given me in the Wirecast forum (I want to use these streams in Wirecast)

[QUOTE]
I have 2 decklink duos in a MacPro and Wirecast sees 4 cameras. I'm guessing if you add a third card, you could add 2 more cameras.
I'm using a 12-core for this seup and it's running at 400% so by that logic you'd need at least 8 cores to be safe.
[/QUOTE]

Whos right ? ^^

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Nov 25, 2012 at 10:15:15 pm

Bob and Softron are playing it safe. You can get away with less than 12 depending on settings.

Return to posts index

Mike McPherson
on Jun 10, 2011 at 5:12:18 am

$1100 per channel - ouch. That sounds a bit steep considering the entire Final Cut Pro suite costs $999 and so does the Quad hardware. I am too looking for a solution to utilize the Quad to capture at least 3 HD SDI streams simultaneously. Are there any alternatives to the Softron product?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]