FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videohub design flaw

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Blumenstock
Videohub design flaw
on May 5, 2011 at 6:42:11 pm

Got my videohub today. Unfortunately, it is impossible to use with Neutrik plug pull connectors as the bnc inputs are sitting too close next to each other so two Neutriks won't fit. One milimeter more and everything would have been ok.
So... now I am facing the joyful task of changing the connectors on ALL my cables. This is so utterly unnecessary. It's not as if these plugs are highly exotic.
At least put such info in the tech specs of the units.

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
Re: Videohub design flaw
on May 6, 2011 at 1:37:30 am

Hi Peter,

We understand your frustration and pain of having to terminate all your cables. When designing the spacing we used standard BNC connectors. Unfortunately this did not include using push/pull style like you use. We also wanted to provide customers with the ease of using Trompeter or similar insertion tools which I believe are not suitable for this style of connector.
Thanks for your support of Blackmagic products and for the suggestion of including this information in our specifications. We are discussing this further as a result.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Videohub design flaw
on May 6, 2011 at 2:36:11 am

Neutrik BNC's ARE highly exotic. I have been working in our industry since 1978. I have used BNC connectors from Kings, Amphenol, ADC and Trompeter on Blackmagic Routers, and have never had a problem. I am a loyal and very big Neutrik customer (I use nothing but Neutrik XLR connectors) and have NEVER EVER used a Neutrik BNC connector.

I see no reason for Blackmagic to even think about changing anything.

When you see some "exotic" connectors that are bigger than industry standard, I question "what were these companies thinking about". I refer specifically to companies making "audiophile" audio connectors for RCA and Stereo phone plug. IF you make an RCA phono plug larger
than a Switchcraft 3502A or a Stereo phone plug larger than a Neutrik N3P or Switchcraft 297, then you are asking for trouble.

The trend is to go with SMALLER connectors, and alternates to BNC's for HD-SDI connections. You can see this from companies like
AJA, who use mini RF connectors for their Kona series boards. And many companies who orient make video patch bays and routers are now using miniature BNC's, so they can get more than 32 WECO jacks on a 19" rack panel. The world wants SMALLER, not bigger.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]