FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting a Canon XH A1 directly to a Decklink sdi...is this possible?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Powers
Connecting a Canon XH A1 directly to a Decklink sdi...is this possible?
on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:35:19 pm

WEll, I purchased a Decklink SDI believing that the BNC port on my XH A1 was, infact, SDI out....but now I'm beginning to wonder if this was a good idea because it's not recognizing my camera.

Right now I have the most simple set up you can, the card in the back of my Mac Pro, and an SDI cable from the XH A1's video out to the Decklink's video in....

I created a Blackmagic project in Adobe Premiere cs5, set up the capture settings to all blackmagic stuff, and......nothing. "Capture Device Offline"

Have I mad a massive mistake here? or is there perhaps some redeeming possibility that I'm missing.

Thanks a TON for any help,

Chris Powers.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Connecting a Canon XH A1 directly to a Decklink sdi...is this possible?
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:50:45 pm

The BNC out is SD...a COMPOSITE signal...not SDI. Sorry. That's pretty bad for an HD camera to have...BNC out that is SD...very misleading.

Sorry mate.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Powers
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:51:44 pm

Hmmm...thanks for the response, that's what I was afraid of.

Now, I went back and looked at Black Magic's site again and from this image

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklink/models/ (you may have to click on "connection diagram" for the decklink sdi)

it looks like this card should take both HD and SD SDI video......am I still out of luck? Is Composite out through a BNC cable totally different than even SD SDI through a BNC cable?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:12:12 pm

Sorry, composite is a different signal than even SD SDI. SDI has a full video signal (better than component), and can have embedded audio channels. Composite BNC is a video signal only, and really the worse quality of all the options.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Powers
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:14:12 pm

Ok well, it looks like I have to wait till we upgrade cameras then - shouldn't be too far off....maybe this will expedite the process.

Thanks, Shane

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 27, 2011 at 2:20:28 am

Hi Chris,

As Shane has mentioned, the BNC output of the camera is for composite, analog video which is standard definition. This camera does not have SDI connections so unfortunately the DeckLink SDI will not be usable with this camera.

If you want to capture high definition video, you could use the Canon DTC-1000 Component Video Cable to output HD1080i component analog video. You should already have the STV-290N Stereo Video Cable which you will still need to output left and right analog audio channels.

You could then use an Intensity Pro card to capture from the three component video and two analog audio connections. The Intensity Pro is US$199 and can be used with Mac OS X, Windows and Linux computers. As with the DeckLink SDI, it only requires a x1 lane PCI Express slot. The Intensity Pro is designed to directly connect to the consumer-type connections provided by the two Canon cables without needing any adapters or audio level adjustments. Intensity Pro also connects to HDMI video hardware so you can monitor the Canon video via a large HDMI display or even capture from cameras with HDMI output.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]