FORUMS: list search recent posts

ATEM Television Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Cardonna
ATEM Television Studio
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:50:22 pm

Hi,
is this just for web broadcast or can i record in sd/h/d?

Do any of the atems convert from componet?

RCM

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
Re: ATEM Television Studio
on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:04:16 am

Hi Richard,

You can also record to H.264 files in full resolution SD and HD using the included Blackmagic Design Media Express software.

The ATEM Television Studio doesn't feature analog inputs but you could easily attach a Mini Converter Analog to SDI if you wanted to use an analog source with it.

The other two models of ATEM Production Switcher each have component analog, SDI and HDMI inputs.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 17, 2011 at 5:01:41 am

Are these ATEM built with decklink of BM cards?

Ric

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 17, 2011 at 5:22:27 pm

What type of connection to laptop or computer?

Rcm

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:44:16 am

Hi Richard,

The ATEM Television Studio connects to the computer via USB. There is a software control panel which can be used on Mac or Windows to configure and control the ATEM Television Studio.

If you are using a supported Windows PC with USB 3.0, then you can capture the uncompressed video output of the ATEM Television Studio just as if you were capturing with a DeckLink card. Alternatively you can use the Blackmagic UltraScope software for realtime waveform monitoring of the uncompressed video output of the ATEM Television Studio. The video capture and waveform monitoring functions only work on Windows as isochronous USB 3.0 support only exists on Windows at this time.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:38:34 am

Are the processor in atem, decklink or b/m cards?

rcm

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 18, 2011 at 6:53:30 am

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry but I made a mistake in my last post which I must correct.

The USB connection on ATEM Television Studio is USB 2.0. In addition to allowing a Mac or Windows PC to configure and control it with a software control panel, the USB connection can also be used to capture H.264 encoded video using the Blackmagic Media Express software. There is no DeckLink processor as DeckLink captures uncompressed video whereas the ATEM Television Studio provides H.264 encoded output via USB 2.0 to a computer.

The USB connection on the ATEM 1 M/E Production Switcher and the ATEM 2 M/E Production Switcher is USB 3.0. In addition to allowing a Mac or Windows PC to configure and control it with a software control panel, the USB 3.0 connection can also be used to capture uncompressed video to a supported Windows PC just like our UltraStudio Pro and UltraStudio SDI products. These UltraStudio products are essentially external DeckLink cards in a USB 3.0 enclosure. So from that perspective, I guess you could say that the ATEM Production Switchers contain a DeckLink processor.

Is that what you were asking?

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 18, 2011 at 5:21:30 pm

So what are supported Windows PC?

thanks for your response

rcm

Return to posts index

Luke Maslen
on Apr 19, 2011 at 12:17:29 am

Hi Richard,

You can use any PC with USB 2.0 to configure and control the ATEM switchers.

However if you wish to use the USB 3.0 video capture or waveform monitoring functions, a supported PC is required. The short version is that a PC with an X58 based motherboard is required for these functions but more details are provided at this support note which was written for our existing USB 3.0 products. This note does not currently refer to the ATEM products with USB 3.0 but is still relevant to them.

Regards,

Luke Maslen
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Matt Penner
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:51:26 am

I need to record output from a presenter's laptop and mix it with live video and branding. The ATEM TV Studio seems like it would work out really well.

However, the presenter's laptop output would be through VGA and not always hd resolution. Most likely 1280x1024. How might I capture this with the ATEM TV Studio? Would a VGA-hdmi converter work? I'm afraid the screen would be squashed or stretched. Would the ATEM TV Studio be able to compensate for that? Any suggestions on this?

When is this expected to be released for purchase in the USA?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chad Pearson
on May 5, 2011 at 2:25:09 pm

On the product page it says "Broadcast H.264 files live" does that mean it can stream H.264 to a streaming server (RTMP/RTSP) or CDN? If not, and all you get is a file on your hard drive when you're done, how is that considered "live"?

Having an HD switcher with built-in streaming encoder for less than $1,000 would completely change the live streaming industry.

Return to posts index

Chris Chen
on Jul 11, 2011 at 10:46:35 pm

I would also buy a streaming HD switcher that much. Does anybody have an answer to whether this is an HD h264 streaming switcher?

Return to posts index

Micha Last
on Jul 16, 2011 at 5:35:21 pm

Can i capture SD and HD simultaneous with the television Studio? So i get 2 files after?

Im also interested whether i can stream this file directly.

Return to posts index

Kevin Pease
on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:03:41 pm

I'm right there with you. Using the word "live" is extremely misleading for this product. I bought the ATEM from B&H hoping to use it for streaming live music performances via UStream. Thought I would be able to plug the ATEM into my computer via USB, plug in 4 HD cameras via HDMI, and "viola", a really fancy switchable webcam. But NOPE. Now my 30 days to return the product to B&H is gone and I'm left searching for an HDMI to Firewire interface - which I found today for $650. So much for the $1,000 dream.

So anyways, if anyone is interested, here's what I plan on doing... Any feedback is welcome! Still not 100% sure this will work.

3x Canon DSLR cameras (mini-HDMI out) into ATEM (HDMI in)
ATEM (Prog HDMI out) into Grass Valley ADVC-HD50 (HDMI in)
Grass Valley ADVC-HD50 (Firewire out) into iMac (Firewire in)

I'm hoping UStream will recognize the Firewire input as a webcam and I can manage all the switching using the ATEM software. Only question now is "Will I be able to tell UStream to leverage Firewire for video and Built-in Input for audio?"

Here's a link to the Grass Valley product: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/559115-REG/Grass_Valley_602227_ADVC_H...

Return to posts index

Cameron Larsen
on Nov 11, 2011 at 9:44:02 pm

if your iMac has a Thunderbolt port, you can get an uncompressed HDMI live feed into your computer using the Intensity Extreme with Thunderboltâ„¢ (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/) for only $300. I don't do any streaming, so I don't know if Ustream will work with an uncompressed feed or not, but it will help you avoid the compression and de-compression through firewire, and it costs less.

Return to posts index

Kevin Pease
on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:00:12 pm

Sorry but my iMac is a whole 1 year old with no Thunderbolt connection. Even if I had the connection, UStream wouldn't be able to handle the HD stream. Too much data = choppy stream. Would need to downsample anyways. So the "natural" downsampling via Firewire may work to my advantage. Ya?

Return to posts index

Cameron Larsen
on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:06:53 pm

Ya, I think you're right about that. There are software live-feed down-samplers you could use to do it, but the ones I know of are expensive. I think for your setup you're best off going firewire, assuming Ustream will work with it direct.

Return to posts index

Kevin Pease
on Nov 11, 2011 at 10:11:39 pm

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm on the right track at least. If I actually get this to work, I'll document my setup.

Return to posts index

Rob Hargreaves
on Mar 17, 2012 at 8:32:55 pm

Hi Kevin,
Any luck using the Blackmagic Design ATEM Television Studio with the Grass Valley ADVC-HD50 as a multi camera live streaming option?

A guy got the Grass Valley ADVC-HD50 working fine with Wirecast Pro, although that was a single camera without a switcher:
http://www.amazon.com/Canopus-602227-ADVC-HD50/product-reviews/B0019804QW/r...

Return to posts index

Kevin Pease
on Mar 19, 2012 at 9:29:08 pm

Haven't purchased the Grass Valley piece yet. Pricey :/

Return to posts index

harry ranhot
on Aug 8, 2012 at 1:03:10 pm

hi,
i'm having the same issue. did you found a solution???
i'm looking to mix laptop output with cam. i've hdmi port in laptop but for now i need to output in standard definition, not hd. can you please advise.

regards
Harry

Return to posts index

leo osborne
on Aug 17, 2011 at 3:38:05 pm

Question for Luke M.
I have been anticipating the ATEM TV Studio since finding out about it this spring. It seems that in theory you could live stream the ATEM studio by connecting it to a Thunderbolt equipped MacBook Pro via the BM Ultra Studio 3D. Has this been tested internally at your company? Are there any limitations that you can think of that would make this solution untenable?
Thx
L

Return to posts index

Danhugh Gordon
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:08:43 pm

Is it possible to use CG 100 with the ATEM Television Studio? (it uses a blackmagic card)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]