FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro on Ubuntu 10.10

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernard Newnham
Intensity Pro on Ubuntu 10.10
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:37:05 pm

More of a report than a question, unless anyone knows the answer....

I have two of these, one working for some time now in a Mac. I'm trying to install a new one on Ubuntu. Although everything loads, and both the control panel and Media Express work, nothing goes in and nothing comes out. At boot a message comes up saying that I need to update the firmware, but having performed the arcane steps required to anything at all on Linux, the update fails.

Because I have two cards and I can check them out on the Mac and swap them round, I know they both work correctly. My supplier and UK Blackmagic support are mystified, so if there's anyone out there in the world who has any ideas, please shout.

B

PS - I hate Linux in all its forms, apart from the close cousin in Macs, which actually works very well.

bernie

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
Re: Intensity Pro on Ubuntu 10.10
on Apr 9, 2011 at 9:08:36 am

And a follow-up, if anyone's at Blackmagic is listening....

I've now tried on OpenSuse - failed because of something called libstrc++ . I had to download something called dkpm and install that, and was amazed that I succeeded, but then it said I needed this other thing. As far as I could work out, I already had, but it didn't agree. It asked if I "wanted to break Blackmagic Decklink Driver" by continuing. In the end I said yes. It installed but didn't work.

Linux Mint. This is derived from Ubuntu and Debian, but I thought I'd try anyway. Same problem as Ubuntu. A request for firmware upgrade which fails.

Blackmagic - if you offer something to work on a free operating system, why don't you supply the operating system on the disk? Then it will work. A lot of these computers are just going to be doing one job. This one is supposed to be a studio video play-in machine. Linux would be ideal for this - if it worked.

Enough. I think it's fair to say that in a user test, Blackmagic was not regarded as suitable to run on Linux. Or more accurately, Linux was not suited to run Blackmagic.

B

bernie

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Apr 9, 2011 at 9:10:33 am

oh - and if anyone from BM wants to get in touch direct - bernard.newnham@ntlworld.com

bernie

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Apr 10, 2011 at 9:47:18 am

And -

Had a go with Fedora today. The driver package loads in an impressive manner, searching for dependencies and setting everything up so the driver is correctly loaded and working. Unfortunately when you run the control panel it says "no Blackmagic device detected". I tried re-loading the driver package but it says it's installed correctly.

I only have the one university-supplied computer to try all this on, so it could be that, but each distro seems to have different problems, so maybe not....

B

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Apr 12, 2011 at 9:11:45 pm

and later - my colleagues put Windows 7 on the machine. Still didn't work. It must be the motherboard, though other things work fine. It might be best not to use an Asus A8N5X for this task.

B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]