FORUMS: list search recent posts

Real time HD playback on SD monitor in AE CS5

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arjen Abbestee
Real time HD playback on SD monitor in AE CS5
on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:28:53 pm

When RAM-previewing a HD-project on my SD broadcast monitor (SDI input) I cannot seem to get realtime playback.
I'm on a 12-core Mac with 32G RAM and a Decklink HD-Extreme (about three years old). When I let AE do the downscaling I get 12 to 15 fps, when I set the decklink to 'HD to SD Anamorphic' I get 22 fps max. This is with output set to 'Blackmagic HD1080i 50 10 bit'.
I already have 'mirror on computer monitor' off (drops to 20 fps when turned on).
When I connect a HD monitor I get realtime playback, So it is the downscaling that causes the slowdown.
I assume the Decklink should be able to downscale in realtime, otherwise this option is quite useless...
Is there anything I can do about this?

Cheers,

Arjen

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: Real time HD playback on SD monitor in AE CS5
on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:06:02 pm

Hi Arjen,

It sounds like you most likely have the Decklink HD Extreme 2. This card does have a down conversion option, but this is performed in software, so it is still using CPU cycles. This will have similar effects as downscaling from within After Effects. It would make sense therefore that this is most likely what is causing this issue.

I'm afraid that I can't think of any way to get around this with the current setup. There are other ways to take this processing load away from the CPU. We now have the UpDownCross Mini Converter which can take the SDI out and perform the down conversion in line, and the current Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ also has a hardware down converter built in, allowing you to monitor in both HD-SDI and SD-SDI at the same time if need be.

If you need any further help, or have further questions, please feel free to get in contact with your regional support team. You can find their support numbers and our support request form on the following pages.

http://blackmagic-design.com/company/
http://blackmagic-design.com/support/contact/

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Arjen Abbestee
Re: Real time HD playback on SD monitor in AE CS5
on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:32:20 pm

I was afraid you were going to say that... I'll be switching to an HD monitor soon, so I don't want to spend money for only a couple of weeks.
I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks,

Arjen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]