FORUMS: list search recent posts

10 bit signal through HDLINK PRO DVI / DISPLAYPORT?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filip orlandic
10 bit signal through HDLINK PRO DVI / DISPLAYPORT?
on Mar 19, 2011 at 1:06:55 am

Hello,
is it possible to send RGB 444 dual link hd-sdi signal which is 10 bit through BM HDLINK PRO DVI or BM HDLINK PRO 3D DISPLAYPORT to HDMI device ?

What I mean :
is it possible to use Dual link DVI to HDMI cable/adapter to get 10bit on HDMI,
or DISPLAYPORT to HDMI to get 10bit on HDMI ?

Many thanks

Filip

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: 10 bit signal through HDLINK PRO DVI / DISPLAYPORT?
on Mar 20, 2011 at 11:00:29 pm

HI, the HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort will be capable of supporting 10 bit via HDMI or DisplayPort connections.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Mar 21, 2011 at 4:53:45 pm

When you say "will be capable of" does that mean it cannot output 10bit now but will do so in the future?

Also, since you singled out the HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort, does that mean that the HDLink Pro DVI is restricted to 8-bit (DVI is restricted to 8-bit?) while the HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort version can do 10-bit because DisplayPort and HDMI can go up to 10-bit.

Or that the HDLink Pro DVI can do only 8-bit via the DVI port, but can do 10-bit if one uses the DVI port as HDMI using a DVI-HDMI cable or converter?

I ask because I have just deployed 21 HDLink Pro DVI at a TV channel, but have the choice of using them to connect to a monitor via DVI or HDMI.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
on Mar 22, 2011 at 12:53:55 am

[Neil Sadwelkar] "When you say "will be capable of" does that mean it cannot output 10bit now but will do so in the future?
"

It will do so now.

[Neil Sadwelkar] "Also, since you singled out the HDLink Pro 3D DisplayPort, does that mean that the HDLink Pro DVI is restricted to 8-bit (DVI is restricted to 8-bit?)"

Yes. HDLink Pro DVI is 8-bits when you use HDMI or DVI-D.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Aug 22, 2011 at 4:42:18 pm

What if input is 10 bit HD-SDI and output is HDMI, is that output 8-bit or 10-bit?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jun 26, 2012 at 12:18:59 pm

Hi guys,

I am doing some experiments with it , providing a 10 bit Dual SDI 444 source into the HD Pro DVI and it seems to be the case it can NOT output 10 bit to the DVI/HDMI port.
If I feed my projection which is the JVC- RS 25 with the Aja box it switches to 10 bit.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Jun 27, 2012 at 11:38:28 am

UPDATE :

Ok, we just bought a new HD Link Pro DP which will not only do 3D but also supports 12 (yes, twelve) bit of deep color :)

Good news , right ?

A slice of color...

DaVinci 8.2.1 OSX 10.7.2
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

ICA Instructor
http://www.icolorist.com/Sascha.html

Return to posts index

Ju Dor
on Mar 28, 2016 at 11:03:57 pm

I see this thread is 5 years old.
Has there been any development on the 8/10bit front.

There is an article from 2015 on RedSharkNews by Craig Marshall, who used the Decklink + the HDLink to output 10-bit DVI & HDMI to their Benq PG2401PT monitor.

http://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2265-how-to-build-a-system-to-run-res...

"This device accepts the SDI signal from the Decklink 4K SDI card with a ‘loop through’ facility and converts it to DVI, maintaining the 10bit display quality. I loaded up a quick 14bit greyscale ‘ramp’ test TIFF and switched between 8bit HDMI and 10bit DVI on the monitor. Voila, no gradations! Ultra smooth on 10bit DVI"

That said, Craig wrote as a comment on another post, that
"{he has} been using BenQ's 24" version of this monitor (PG2401PT) for grading in DaVinci Resolve for over a year now and it has proved exceptionally accurate and very stable. I drive it from a Decklink SDI card, converting the 10bit SDI signal to Display Port via the BMD HD Link box. (a Dual DVI version of HD Link is also available)"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]