FORUMS: list search recent posts

DeckLink Studio to Digibeta problems - workflow or wiring?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Duncan Craig
DeckLink Studio to Digibeta problems - workflow or wiring?
on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:52:24 pm

Hello All. We have a newish MacPro, FCS2, Decklink Studio card and a DigiBeta.
An old AJA IO has just been retired after years of faithful service. We've been working in DV50 with fields rendering off, which had given great results, but rotations, scaling and general anamorphic limitations with aliasing on graphic element means we are looking to improve things.

Working in 720p gives a much cleaner result than anamorphic SD so after shooting in 1080p, everything will end up in SD Anamorphic and 720p looks great downscaled.

We are using a basic BB generator connected to the card and the Digi, SD SDI out of the card into the Digi. Editing on FCP uses a ProRes 720p25 timeline, monitoring via HDMI to a large LCD TV and over SD SDI to a JVC Grade 2 CRT. We want a progressive 25p look, but without wasting time rendering to 1080p when it's just an SD master we need.

All's well until we try to lay to tape... timing errors, channel errors, jitter, it's a nightmare, the only way round it seems to be to disconnect the references and the Digi SD SDI into the card. The layback looks totally mistimed, but on playback it is OK. Once you've reconnected everything.

It seems that FCP needs to be configured in a 720p setup (using a modified easy setup). If we use a normal SD Easy Setup, the 720 timeline comes out squashed, like it used to on the AJA IO.

So my question is should we wire things differently?
Or consider a different workflow?

I'm going to try using an SDI out of the Digi as reference to the card. Also different Easy Setups.
As well as going back to basic with an standard SD Easy Setup and see where that gets us.

Thanks for any input.

Duncan Craig.

EX1
MBP
Short fingernails

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
Re: DeckLink Studio to Digibeta problems - workflow or wiring?
on Mar 2, 2011 at 4:22:59 pm

OK I think I need to get a Tri-level sync generator. Does this seem the obvious solution?

Can I connect it to my DeckLink Studio running in 720p and my PAL Digibeta and expect the Digi to lock up correctly to the picture?

Cheers Folks.

EX1
MBP
Short fingernails

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Mar 10, 2011 at 2:29:21 pm

I've spoken to BlackMagic support and they aren't sure what I'm doing wrong. They cannot confirm if I need a Tri-Sync generator or not. So I'll try and hire one.

EX1
MBP
Short fingernails

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Mar 16, 2011 at 1:34:27 pm

Yes you do need the Tri-Sync generator.

Doesn't the Card output SD and HD @ the same time?
You should be able to play the HD sequence and output SD @ the same time. It will down-convert on the fly.
Which card do you have?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

dean Shull
on Apr 29, 2014 at 2:07:16 am

I am also having jitter problems after printing to tape from fcp7 to my digibeta dvw-500 (nothing plugged into the ref of the black magic SDI decklink). When I playback my new recording from the tape, I get a steady uniform jitter problem, the image bouncing up and down like it was being shown from grindhouse film on an old projector but in a steady fashion. I am brand new to digibeta, just picked up this old deck. Is there anything like a tracking control that needs to be adjusted? (Exporting Proress 422 (HQ) SD and I am not pre striping the tape.)

Thanks, any help is very appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]