FORUMS: list search recent posts

codecs

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Johnson
codecs
on Feb 27, 2011 at 5:30:22 pm

Can anyone provide a link where any legit BlackMagic codecs can be downloaded? I'm about to set up our new new Windows 7 64-bit system and, because we often have to work with media from outside our shop and send media to other shops, we've always installed codecs from BlackMagic, AJA and Avid from day one instead of trying to find them with deadlines looming, but we can't seem to find any codecs on any of those developer websites anymore.

I know our approach is somewhat old-school since the advent of newer codecs like ProRes have become somewhat standard, but our shop runs both Mac and Windows systems, as well as needing to both receive from and send to other shops on either platform so a single one-platform, proprietary codec is not a solution for us by a long shot. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Robin Kassim
Re: codecs
on Mar 1, 2011 at 1:40:53 am

Blackmagic codecs are included with the drivers now.

But for playback you should not need anything particular. The uncompressed HD video is YUY2 raw format.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Mar 1, 2011 at 2:02:41 am

Thanks for your reply, Robin. Maybe I didn't explain my question well ... we don't have or want to install BM drivers since we don't have BM cards. On our current systems we have BM codecs installed so if we need to send elements to someone using BM cards/drivers/codecs, we can send it to them in their native codec. We're replacing hardware and are just unable to find any BM codecs for download anymore.

Return to posts index

Robin Kassim
on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:36:58 pm

Not sure what you can do in that case. The drivers will obviously require BM hardware installed.

Have you consider using an alternative codec that would be compatible with the software others are using?

I am not sure exactly what it is that you are doing. But, BM hardware captures HD video in HDYC which is YUV using BT701 color space. It should be compatible with existing YUV decoders. The MJPEG format is supported by ffmpeg if you are willing to use that.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 5, 2011 at 10:36:18 pm

I'm pretty sure you can install the driver package without BMD hardware. This will install the codec package. Without BMD hardware, the drivers wont do anything except take up a tiny amount of space (or you can manually remove them).

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 5, 2011 at 10:37:23 pm

I'm pretty sure you can install the driver package without BMD hardware. This will install the codec package. Without BMD hardware, the drivers wont do anything except take up a tiny amount of space (or you can manually remove them).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]