FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080p60 and black level support for Intensity Shuttle

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Kassim
1080p60 and black level support for Intensity Shuttle
on Feb 26, 2011 at 3:40:50 am

I have been using my Intensity Shuttle for a month now to capture video game footage from my Xbox360 and PS3 for my YouTube channel. Now, I am preparing to record small local tournaments and other gaming social events.

Because gaming in tournaments is sensitive to lag, it has occurred to me that the Intensity Shuttle is not ideal for this task. Yet, it does have the potential to be. The limitation appears to be software.

Here is the problem:
Because of the need for lag free gaming, 1080p60 RGB input is needed by the gamers on the playing monitor. I use a HDMI splitter to split the game output to the playing monitor and the Shuttle. However, because the Shuttle does not accept 1080p60, I have to use 720p60 and have the playing monitor upscale the image. Another problem is the color. The ideal color would be full range RGB. However, the Shuttle processes RGB input as TV level. If we use PC level, the black levels are crushed and the contrast is too great on the capture side. But if we use PC level, the playing monitor looks faded and the colours will be wrong for the players. This forces use to use YCbCr701 output colour.

Since the Intensity series is so popular amongst gamers, I think this is an issue Blackmagic could benefit from by fixing. I would certainly recommend this product to more gamers if this issue was resolved.

I am sure Blackmagic can add a HDMI RGB black level (PC and TV selection for RGB input) selection to the control panel easier. I don't think this is asking much.

As for the resolution, I will be happy to know if Blackmagic is willing to make the compromise to enable 1080p60 support. Blackmagic's claims the Shuttle can support 1080p60 with a software update when USB3 is capable of more bandwidth. Why not enable this ability now and force hardware cross conversion from 1080p60 to 720p60 for the time being? This would solve the lag issues that gamers constant dread over.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]