FORUMS: list search recent posts

decklink HD extreme and HP dreamcolor

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
klaus rodahl
decklink HD extreme and HP dreamcolor
on Feb 20, 2011 at 2:18:05 pm

Ok, tried this in the color forum, and i see it's been asked here too, but not really answered (answer was that all decklink outputs YUV from the HDMI...): can the decklink HD extreme be used with the HP dreamcolor or does the HDMI in decklink not output real progressive RGB?

I see most people run some sort of box between their card and the monitor i.e. aja hdp2...

kind regards
klaus

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
Re: decklink HD extreme and HP dreamcolor
on Feb 21, 2011 at 9:16:21 pm

yeah the BMD version of the HDp2 is the HDLINK pro 3D display port.

Return to posts index

klaus rodahl
on Feb 21, 2011 at 11:00:34 pm

ok...so i guess the answer is: no, a video card is not enough, you need to throw in another few bob for a HDLINK or HDP2 etc...

thanks a million Sean

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:01:51 pm

Certain products by AJA and Matrox (I think) can feed the Dreamcolor with progressive RGB. Do a general Dreamcolor search and you'll find the caveats.

Return to posts index

klaus rodahl
on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:05:49 pm

yeah, tried that, and there seems to be a few ways to go about - only really asking cause the different sales people here in norway don't really seem to have a clue (not unlike myself;) and seem eager to sell this and that, and yes of course it will work...

anywho, decided to go for aja LHi and HDP2...just need the credit card to get over a slight cold...

thanks anyway

Return to posts index

Keith Pratt
on Mar 4, 2011 at 10:20:33 pm

You don't need the HDP2 if you have the LHi. LHi will output genuine progressive RGB over HDMI, converting YCbCr to RGB, 1080PsF to 1080p and 1080i50 to 720p50. (I have the Dreamcolor and LHi.)

Return to posts index

Adrian Price
on May 3, 2011 at 9:53:57 am

Hey there all

Just wanting to piggy back on the back of this thread. I'm looking to drive a newly purchased Dreamcolor and have obviously come down to either the Kona LHi or the BMD DeckLink HD Extreme 3D + HDLink Pro 3D combination.

I'm leaning at this stage towards the BMD solution as I'm hoping at some stage to move to Resolve and potentially 2K work. I've done as much reading as my tiny Kiwi brain can manage and think I've managed to figure that if the requirements are potential Resolve usage and/or 2K work then the BMD combo will be required to drive the Dreamcolor at 10bit through the HDMI?

Have I got this right? Am I missing anything before I place my order at B&H??

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Adrian P.

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
12 core qmaster sweet spot
on May 3, 2011 at 1:09:14 pm

Well I have that combo of equipment and have contacted BMD directing through phone and multiple emails to different departments and continents in order to get a solid answer as to how to calibrate to rec709.

I have to say that after a couple years of dealing with the dreamcolor for color grading work I wish I could afford an fsi 2461 via straight sdi from my BMD extreme3d+ just because of the unknowns.
The strategy I have used at home and at various studious that had that monitor was to go sdi out from the card into the hdlink3D and then hdmi or display out into the dreamcolor. I have also used the aja hdp2 and geffen converter solutions and i found the hdp2 to be the easiest and best solution but it is more expensive as is the geffen box. Sending 1080i smpte bars out from fcp the one thing always gets me with that combo of gear is that the pluge pattern does not show up properly to barely reveal one grey bar in the middle. The answer I get from BMD is that I could have someone come in and calibrate it for me but that's expensive and should be avoided. To make this type of investment and have such minimal support is really dissapointing especially since I am about to make the move to resolve 8!
proper tech support is lacking so hopefully they get it together for US customers in time for resolve 8
I can add all my settings for the dreamcolor & hdlink if that helps and if any BMD guys are reading this please feel free to shed some light on properly setting up a calibrated dreamcolor with your combo of gear!
cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]