FORUMS: list search recent posts

My decklink SDI arrives in a few days: Quick question about file sizes/types

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
owen gibbins
My decklink SDI arrives in a few days: Quick question about file sizes/types
on Feb 8, 2011 at 5:09:30 pm

I'm dipping my toe in video editing/producing etc, so I purchased Sony Vegas Studio HD Platinum 10 Suite and a decklink SDI HD to record live SDI HD video via my 10 bit HD camera that has SDI HD out.

I was wondering when you capture the SDI HD signal, what is the format blackmagic records? Is it quicktime? If I can select a different capture file format, what would you recommend to use with Sony Vegas Studio?

And if I record 3 mins worth of 1080p live video to the blackmagic PC, how large will the file be?

Also any tips would be great. I have 2 PC's (one with win XP and one with Windows 7 Home Premium)

Are there any known issues with Win 7 with drivers etc? The XP one is not as fast at the Win 7 one but it's no slouch and both mobos support the decklink card.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: My decklink SDI arrives in a few days: Quick question about file sizes/types
on Feb 10, 2011 at 5:15:54 am

[owen gibbins] "when you capture the SDI HD signal, what is the format blackmagic records?"

It doesn't. The software does. All the card does is act as a bridge to get the video signal into the computer for the software to access.

[owen gibbins] "Is it quicktime?"

It is whatever your editing software captures it as. You determine this in the software. The hardware doesn't do the capturing.

[owen gibbins] "If I can select a different capture file format, what would you recommend to use with Sony Vegas Studio?"

I'll leave that to Vegas people to answer.

[owen gibbins] "And if I record 3 mins worth of 1080p live video to the blackmagic PC, how large will the file be?"

Depends on the format you choose to record as.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

owen gibbins
Re: My decklink SDI arrives in a few days: Quick question about file sizes/types
on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:22:10 pm

Thanks Shane,

My target is to burn BR discs. What is the best option(s) re file type via the blackmagic software?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2011 at 8:57:42 pm

The Blackmagic card is just a device to get video into your computer. The CODEC you capture to is entirely up to your editing application. I use the card to capture to ProRes QT files. Vegas will have different options...I don't know what those options are.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]