FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping HD Ext. 3 displaying video from Input to Output

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tracy Peterson
Keeping HD Ext. 3 displaying video from Input to Output
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:09:56 pm

I would love to know how to keep the input providing video to the outputs (as per processing rules as well) while I am in a non BMD application.

I am using the downscaling from HD to SD while doing an SD DV based streaming edit. This would basically give me a good and cheap downscaler for simple inputs.

Any chance this is possible or an app exists that would run in background and not require being in focus to activate the BMD inputs/outputs?

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Keeping HD Ext. 3 displaying video from Input to Output
on Feb 16, 2011 at 6:59:16 pm

Unfortunately the board has to be invoked into capture mode for this to work for you to get any sort of input/output.

However, using our media express 2 app, you could run it in the background (non focused).

There's a "But". The down hardware converter only works for playback from a timeline. In order to capture down/up converted signals it uses a software converter. And this does NOT effect the E-E output.

So unfortunately it means using the board in the manner you wish is not possible. However an Up/Down/Cross converter would do that quite nicely for you as would several other inline converters.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:07:36 am

Thanks for responding!

Here's the thing, I had an app DO this very thing once, maybe by mistake, it kept the output open even while it wasn't in focus. When I try to use the mediaexpress it doesn't keep the output open when out of focus unless currently capturing.

So, the thing is it DOES simultaneously downconvert while i'm not on a timeline. Am I getting this wrong? Is my card a mutant?

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:13:41 am

And what I mean by this is that there is an NTSC SD signal coming from the analog composite out while there is a 1080i signal coming in on analog composite and displaying in a 1080i window on my screen as well as showing me a 1080i HDMI preview.

Am I missing something?? That's exactly what I want it to do, I just want to be able to do other things on the computer (such as operate a software switcher for the stream I'm running!)

Tracy Peterson

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Feb 17, 2011 at 9:21:24 pm

Err...odd. Okay, I asked the product manager about the down conversion during capture and he told me it doesn't do that, but I had to ask him because I could just "swear" that it would.

So, I will actually have one of my guys do this in the lab to find out.

So that is part one. Part two is running an app. Media Express 2 does NOT need to be focused in order to have capture running. But you have to set that option in the Media Express preferences. There's a checkbox in the preferences to all Media Express 2 to run while not focused. So make sure that is checked and give it a try.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]