FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Decklink as a test pattern generator

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tristan Summers
Using Decklink as a test pattern generator
on Feb 5, 2011 at 10:13:44 am

Hi
If there is another thread on this I would love some pointers.

Are there a set of files I can run through a decklink to calibrate a monitor accurately?

Does this have to be through Final Cut / After Effects?

I figured that since things went all Da Vinci and people are building lower priced grading suites, understanding and control over final display would be important to decklink users.

1. Reference test pattern generators are expensive.

2. Decklink should be broadcast reference source.

3. I don't trust Final Cut / Quicktime to faithfully reproduce what it displays.

So traditionally to calibrate a system the most I have seen done is running Decklink supplied color bars through Final Cut and using calibration probe on a CRT, and eyeballing the old pluge.

I am learning how to calibrate greyscale / white point, gamma etc. to correct Rec709 colourspace with colour meters and have a feeling this may be more accurate than just buying a Grade 1 monitor and turning it on, and reckon I can now set a variety of consumer panels to a degree of accuracy for more accurate monitoring.

I am thinking it could also be possible to calibrate to wider digital cinema colourspaces.

I can probably make a set of test cards in Photoshop and out put through decklink, but I need to be really sure they are corect and it works.

Tristan

Return to posts index

Tristan Summers
Re: Using Decklink as a test pattern generator
on Feb 6, 2011 at 10:19:03 am

UPDATE
ok I now have some raw .yuv files to test with

Is there any way to get Decklink to read / export a .yuv?

Faithfully?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]