FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro Last Resorts

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Stowers
Intensity Pro Last Resorts
on Feb 3, 2011 at 9:09:17 am

Hello

I have been having nothing but trouble with various capture cards the past few weeks and I've pretty much given up finding a card that will suit my needs at this rate.

Before I send my Intensity Pro back for a refund, perhaps someone can help give me some ideas on how to solve the major blocker to why I am returning it.

If I capture video longer than an hour, the capture driver starts to throw "null frames" and even though there are no dropped frames the capture video skips. Think of it looking like it pauses, resumes, pauses, resumes at a rapid pace.

I would like to be able to capture video for a full tape without it stuttering! I just tried a brand new MXO2 mini only to discover I cannot capture to DV. *Pulls hair out*

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Intensity Pro Last Resorts
on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:04:08 pm

Why would you capture DV with a capture card? That's something you do via firewire.

Wait, you mean capture a video source, and CONVERT it to DV when you capture. Capture HDCAM as DV, right?

Why would you get the Mini for that? It doesn't have deck control, therefore if you capture offline, with the intention to online later, you have no timecode to reference. You'd need the MXO2 LE at least. Or Decklink Studio...

Now, these null frames...or frame stills, right?... they are happening when you are capturing to the DV codec? And what is the source you are capturing from?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ryan Stowers
on Feb 3, 2011 at 1:33:50 pm

I'm trying to capture VHS to DV. I guess that would be the important bit there ^^ I already have a XL1S and would have used that if it had a DV IN vcr mode. (It does not)

Just no frames unfortunately. It does not matter if I'm trying to recompress as DV or capture straight up RAW. The driver seems to start going south after an hour of video. Unfortunately it is not reproducible as well as far as exact time. Using the timing log of Virtualdub I can see where it starts to go out of sync one time at 50 minutes, another time at 1:30. i.e. it seems to be random! After 3 hours the video would be skipping quite a bit and the audio would be off by at least 30 seconds (!). This is using test capture as well, so there is no possibility of the disk being at fault of actual dropped frames (as I had thought it may have been before).

To ensure it was not the tape being at fault I used a loop from a good sourced self-made DVD that played over and over during these tests. Even just running still colorbars it would eventually start losing frames after an hour. Oh yeah, I did a clean install of Windows before all of this as well to make sure it was not something old mucking things up as well.

Unfortunately I got the Mini under the impression I could do the same as with the Blackmagic card... recompress to DV during capture. I liked having the option to capture HD (say xbox 360, etc) open for later. Regardless of the matter, I found it odd personally I could only capture using Matrox A/V tools and even then the only options were uncompressed or MPEG 2 I-Frame. Where did all the other formats go? You open the video later in another program and I can now re-compress to Matrox DV? I don't think that is an optimal solution.

I was not happy with the results of the MPEG 2 I-Frame codec as well. It suffered the same fate as the Blackmagic MJPEG when looking at the capture video through a waveform monitor/histogram. There is a noticeable loss of captured information vs. capturing as DV.

Should I just return all of this and just get a simple Canopus ADVC55? ^^

Sorry for the long winded reply, I hope I explained the situation better. I like the blackmagic card outside of the serious issue of having to keep my captures an hour or less... when you have 100+ old VHS to save/restore this is not fun! Does the Intensity Pro use AGC on the video side as well? I thought this was a problem with VHS coming in at over 100 IRE on the card but I'm getting the same result on the MXO2 with its AGC turned off.

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Feb 4, 2011 at 6:50:15 pm

Hi Ryan,
have you tried adding a TBC to your workflow? Intensity Pro doesn't have a TBC on board, and I'm always compelled to add it when capturing from VHS or Umatic. I recently captured a 20 year VHS archive without a problem. I'm using a Panasonic DVD recorder in E-E as TBC and a professional capturing software (ivsCapture, under Windows).

Best Regards,

Paolo Castellano

Return to posts index

Ryan Stowers
on Feb 5, 2011 at 12:16:07 am

Thank you for the replies.

As far as a TBC I have one on order now. It seems that I should be using one regardless of whatever card I use anyways. ^^

It seems that it may be a case of virtualdub not liking the blackmagic intensity drivers. If I use blackmagics capture program (and mjpeg to simply save space) it did a 6 hour capture without issue. So not really a source issue in this case.

Just a matter of principle to me really. I don't see any logistical reason that an uncompressed capture card could not have the flexibility to at least re-compress RAW->DV (or another format!) in realtime with modern computers. A canopus box while convenient, is always DV. I would prefer to not have to capture a 6 hour SLP tape to raw (500+ GB!) and then post-convert it to DV for the 100 or so tapes I have.

I should make clear that the card is still a rather nifty device sans the issue I am running into. Having IN/OUT for HDMI,Component,S-Video,Composite and good capture quality for its price is rather nice.

I can try a different capture program but I'm not sure what else I could use. I'll try some older versions of virtualdub or fiddling with the settings, or VirtualVCR.

My window of return for the card will be up within a week, so I will need to make a decision fairly soon on what to do :x

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]