FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intensity Pro Capture Settings

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard DePaso
Intensity Pro Capture Settings
on Feb 1, 2011 at 10:33:44 pm

I'm trying to get the BlackMagic Design Intensity Pro (Mac OS 10.6.6) to capture in 720 59.96 Pro Res 422 but it only gives me the option to use Pro Res 422HQ which is 1.8gig/minute or other settings such as 720 DVC Pro. Is there a way to force it to capture in 720P Pro Res 422 not HQ?

Return to posts index

Kristian Lam
Re: Intensity Pro Capture Settings
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:36:32 am

Hi Richard,

Yes, you can. We provide don't provide every preset (there's just too many!!) so you can simply duplicate the Pro Res 422HQ settings and change it to ProRes.

regards

Kristian Lam
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Richard DePaso
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:43:04 am

Kristian,
Thank you for getting back. If it isn't too much trouble could you please provide a little more detail. For example in Final Cut I was able to make a Custom Preset but couldn't change it. How exactly do i duplicate it and then change it?

The same for the BlackMagic app where it gives the option in Preferences to select Quicktime ProRes but i didn't see anything to let me duplicate and change.

Your specific direction help is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 2, 2011 at 7:33:32 am

Not to be harsh Kristian, but AJA and Matrox seem to be able to do that. They have presets for regular plain old ProRes. It is odd to me that BMD doesn't. ProRes LT, and HQ, but not the normal ProRes? The main one that people use? That's odd. And to make us duplicate and modify things...come on. Yeah, there are a lot...and when I open the Easy Setups with an AJA or Matrox card in there I have a HUGE list. But, the settings I want are in that list, and it isn't too daunting to find them.

BMD choosing to NOT show certain codecs is perplexing. Especially the main one that we use. HQ is only for specific codecs, 10-bit ones. ProRes 422 is for most everything else.

Richard, you go to the FINAL CUT PRO menu, and choose AUDIO/VIDEO SETTINGS, click on the CAPTURE PRESETS tab. Select the ProRes HQ setting, then click the DUPLICATE button, and then EDIT.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:13:37 pm

Just go to Audio/Video settings in FCP.
Go to the capture setting you want to duplicate.
Hit duplicate.
Edit the duplicate.
Change to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Richard DePaso
on Feb 3, 2011 at 3:36:39 am

Thanks guys, that was easy enough. Is there a way to do the same thing in BlackMagic Media Express which is a simpler capture interface in some instances?

Return to posts index

Richard DePaso
on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:20:02 pm

This Decklink Extreme HD 3D card i have is giving me all kinds of problems. All of a sudden in Final Cut 7.0.3 it wouldn't play at all on the timeline even though the settings weren't changed from when it did play and it crashed Final cut repeatedly. Then after i uninstalled the 7.9.4 drivers, Final Cut ran perfectly. Next i tried reinstalling the drivers and Final Cut wouldn't even start. Is this driver so unstable that it renders the card virtually useless or does someone have a fix for this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:35:15 pm

I have the Decklink Extreme 3D and I don't have any issues...certainly not those ones. What you are experiencing isn't normal.

What I'd do, is install an OS and FCS 3 and the drivers on a new fresh drive...a fresh start. See how things run. It might be something deep in the system causing this...

Shane

Return to posts index

Richard DePaso
on Feb 10, 2011 at 1:11:10 am

Shane,
Thank you for your response. However that isn't really an option as this machine is loaded with software and redoing the system drive would be very onerous. I'd just buy a Kona card before that. A more effective option would be to probably find everywhere this driver impacts a file and looking at the content and deleting it. We'll have to see who else responds and then possibly contact BlackMagic.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2011 at 1:55:24 am

This card works error free for hundreds of people. But when it doesn't, you need to troubleshoot why not. Some possible reasons are other software or plugins. To figure out what, you need to start fresh and add things from there.

You don't want to do that. You think that shelling out a couple grand on another capture card will solve the issue. It might, it might not. But why spend the cash to find out it won't?

I didn't suggest you erase your current drive. Keep that. Get a new drive and install the OS and FCS package, and then the drivers for Decklink and see how things work. If things work, then you know it's fine and something on your system. Then you install things one at a time to see what is causing it.

That is how you troubleshoot.

But, if you think shelling out $2000 for different will solve the problem, more power to ya.

Shane

Return to posts index

Richard DePaso
on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:39:42 am

Shane,
I appreciate your comments and certainly don't dispute anything you've said but apparently there are problems with the card as indicated by the thread below taken from the Apple Forums. There are similar posts in other locations also I can post. I'll try to see if anyone online has found a solution

Hello,
I've got big troubles with using Black Magic Design HD Extreme 3 in my Mac Pro. When i install card into Mac Pro (tested on two diferent computers (Mac Pro 3,1 and 4,1) with the same results) FCP become crashy and unstable. Its often crash while loading thumbnails or rendering templates and sometimes from no reason. We are working with AVCHD from Sony NXCAM converted using Long and Transfer to ProRess LT 1920x1080 50i. I thought that problem is in Black Magic Card, but replacing doesn't help. After removing card and drivers FCP became stable. Now i'm testing external card MOTU HDX-SDI connected thru the cable and PCIe card to the computer with the same result. It seems like the FCP become unstable when i'm trying to monitor video using card pluged into PCIe. I've used all last drivers and versions of SW.

Please help.
Jirka

MacPro Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Patrick Sheffield

Re: FCP crashes with DeckLink HD Extreme 3
Posted: Dec 4, 2010 12:06 PM in response to: Jiří Mühlfait Reply Email

I can't say my experience with the Decklink HD card has been anything like this, although I am not running 10.6.5 on that system.

It would help if you were to post a crash log. Then we might see where the system was crashing. What did Black Magic's tech support say?

Patrick

Octo 3 GHz Intel Mac OS X (10.5.6) 5 GB RAM, ATI x1900, Decklink HD Extreme

McCNN

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 7:32 AM in response to: Jiří Mühlfait Reply Email

I'm having exactly the same issue. FCP is very unstable when outputting video to a Decklink HD Extreme 3 card.

When video preview is sent to an Apple monitor the crashing stops.

I recently got Balckmagic support involved and they couldn't replicate the error.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ollie

Mac Pro 5,1 Mac OS X (10.6.6) Blackmagic HD 3D card

Jiří Mühlfait

Posted: Feb 3, 2011 12:37 PM in response to: McCNN Reply Email

They said same to me. We cant't replicate the same error. It's horror. Every time I'm trying to load bigger amount of thumbnails FCP stuck and crash. After removing decklink drivers everything works fine.

We are editing clip from AVCHD camera from Sony converted to ProRess LT using Log and Transfer. No strange formats or workflows. So where is the problem. Nobody can say and my boss want's to kill me because I was the one who said that the decklink is the right solution for us. And he paid money for piece of unusable trash.

MacPro Mac OS X (10.6.5)

LasVegasVideo

Posted: Feb 9, 2011 6:31 PM in response to: Jiří Mühlfait Reply Email

The card worked for me for about a month and then all of a sudden Final Cut froze when i tried to play a clip on the timeline (pro res from original AVCHD) after working without changing settings. The only changes being that i made some new presets (pro res 422 and pro res lt) I had to "force quit" and then Final Cut wouldn't open. I uninstalled the BlackMagic drivers and Final Cut worked fine. I then loaded them again and Final Cut wouldn't open. This is definitely a problem and BlackMagic and Apple need to solve it.

Mac Pro 8 core 3.2GHz Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:54:55 am

[Richard DePaso] "apparently there are problems with the card as indicated by the thread below taken from the Apple Forums. There are similar posts in other locations also I can post. I'll try to see if anyone online has found a solution"

OK...this is the main issue. Getting a proper working FCP system with hardware takes a little technical know how. When Avid first started making systems, they'd say "This is configured properly and certified to work without issue. So DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING. Don't install other applications, don't install interesting widgets...no third party plugins...nothing. They might cause the system NOT to work well. We only certify that it will work configured the way we have."

That being said...people now have a lot of systems they build themselves. They don't get the "turnkey" systems that are properly configured. They have their own computer, that they install FCP on, and other applications, and cool widgets, and neat system preferences that allow them to do all sorts of groovy things. The thing is, that any one of these neat and groovy things can cause issues with the hardware. PERIAN, for example, is a great handy app that allows us to convert FLASH media to quicktime. But that handy app can interfere with Log and Transfer. So it might be that one of those dozens of apps that you have installed is causing this not to work. Same for everyone you list in other forums... issues can arise from one a SEVERAL reasons. Finding that specific reason is called troubleshooting, and is done in the manner I laid out.

The only way to know if you have a good, solid working system, is to install the OS fresh, update it fully, install FCS, update it fully (Avoid the ProKit because...wait...I CAUSES ISSUES!)...and then install the drivers for the card. If things work...BAM! YOu know it is one of these other things...that SOMETHING is causing this not to work.

But people don't want to do that. They want things to work on their systems that they have all these cool widgets on, and they don't want to remove them, and they want the drivers to just work. Well, Blackmagic and AJA and Matrox cannot test their hardware with every conceivable widget in existence. Impossible. They test their hardware on systems that are bare and have only professional video apps installed on them. Stuff you'd expect video pros to have installed.

People install these cards on their loaded systems...things don't work...they blame the hardware/software. 95% of the time is isn't the hardware that is at fault, it is something else on the system. But these people, including you, are unwilling to go through the proper steps to figure out what it could possibly be. YOu just assume the hardware is faulty, or the drivers, blame the company or blame Apple for not properly testing...and go out and get something else. That is the problem.

Do you want to figure out why this isn't working, and have a properly working system? Or do you want to flail about and spend thousands of dollars and waste hundreds of hours chasing your tail? Take 8 hours to install a new OS, and FCS, and update them, get the most current driver, and see how things work. IF they work fine...then you know that nothing is malfunctioning, and something else on your system is causing the problem. OR...if it doesn't work, you know it is the hardware or FCS that is at fault.

Ball is in your court. Either do the right thing or don't. But if you decide not to, don't come whining back to us. I have no sympathy for those who choose to ignore the good, solid advice they are given and do things their way.

Shane

Return to posts index

Richard DePaso
Decklink problem solved
on Feb 11, 2011 at 2:47:21 am

There were two files that the uninstall didn't remove that were the basis of the problem. In /library/preferences the uninstall did not remove the "com.blackmagic-design.decklink prefspanel.plist" and in /library/preferences/users another file.

What i did was install the card in a PC to be certain it wasn't a hardware problem. In a PC it worked fine. I then spoke to Blackmagic tech support, learned about and downloaded the latest 7.9.5 driver, found and deleted the errant files in the Mac, put the card in the Mac and installed the latest driver.

What was needed was to find the residual corrupted files that weren't uninstalled with the Decklink Uninstall. That and corrupted Preference files are a suspect issue with problems like this.

Shane, I've been building computers since 1987 and it is rare that I've had to reinstall the operating system to fix problems with an application; on a PC usually only when internet activity corrupted the operating sytem itself. These computers I'm posting on are only used for NLE tasks. We have other machines for administration. Usually what I've found with operating system issues with a Mac, is it is a problem in the /Extra folder and with specific applications with a plist file somewhere corrupted or with preferences that just need to be deleted. My expertise is definitely on the PC side but for the last year we have been heavily into learning the Mac. Hopefully the problems will remain resolved. Thank you for your suggestions

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Decklink problem solved
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:39:08 am

Errant files that DON'T get uninstalled? What's the point of the uninstaller then? Sheesh...it needs to get those files. If I knew that bits and pieces of the software wasn't removed, I would have made that suggestion. GUess I know now.

I'm glad that BMD Tech support was able to help resolve this, and get things working. And I apologize if I spoke in a condescending manner about troubleshooting. I didn't know your level of technical expertise.

Resolved? yeah!

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]