<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Torreano
DeckLink/Windows 7 Issues
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:05:00 pm

I'm currently using a custom built PC with the following settings:

CPU: X5660 @ 2.8GHz (2 processors)
RAM: 24 GB
Windows 7 64-bit OS

The Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme 3D is installed and all Blackmagic software is running as an administrator. I also use Blackmagic as my primary audio device as it compliments my current set up.

In case it matters, I edit with the Adobe Creative Suite CS5, but my issue is broader than using that software.

It seems as though something is running improperly with my current set up. Often times when I start up my computer, nothing related to Blackmagic will run. Despite seeing CheckVersionPCI.exe running in the Task Manager, nothing using the Blackmagic codec or hardware will work. An example of this is if I were to open a Premiere timeline created with Blackmagic settings, the timeline simply will not playback. I see the footage, I see the frame that I'm parked on, but it literally won't allow playback of any kind.

This same problem applies to Blackmagic software like Media Express. The program will open just fine, but nothing at all using Blackmagic will play back and I am unable to capture anything wired through the Decklink.

With all non-Blackmagic related programs, this problem only affects the audio since I'm currently wired into the Decklink audio outputs for audio playback and my settings are for Blackmagic to be my default audio device.

If I restart my computer enough times, I can finally get Blackmagic back running, but sometimes it takes 5-7 tries before I'm able to use it again, which eats up an enormous amount of time. I've looked around multiple times for alternate ways to get my computer to recognize the Decklink or the Blackmagic codec and it absolutely will not work.

I need help!

http://www.russellvideo.com

Return to posts index

Achilleas Thessalos
Re: DeckLink/Windows 7 Issues
on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:32:50 pm

I faced the same problem with you.It has to do with with Motherboard and not with OS (Win7 or Vista). DeckLink conflicts IRQ with some other card.
You could try changing position of DeckLink to some other PCI slot.
I used MB ASUS P5E64 WS Evolution X48 chipset and it was ok.When I used MB Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 X58 chipset PCI SLOT and I made all possible changes, none of them worked.
Finally, I used ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution X58 chipset 6 PCI SLOT which made it work perfectly.

Configuration:
ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution
3ware 9650SE-8LPML......PCI slot 01
GeForce GTX 470..........PCI slot 03
DeckLink HD Extreme.....PCI slot 06

i hope to helped you.

DeckLink HD Extreme
Intensity Pro
Broadcast Converter

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:10:03 pm

That program that is running is what tries to update the firmware on the board. If it doesn't run properly it will put the card in a "service" mode, where it will be detected by the system but essentially unusable. All options in the control panel should be greyed out if this is the case.

CheckVersionPCI.exe should run and terminate. If it is not, kill it from the task manager and run it manually from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Blackmagic Design\Decklink folder.

Try running that and see if it updates firmware. Once that's done give it a reboot and check to make sure that process has terminated like it was supposed to.

If it doesn't, give us a call and we'll dig deeper.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Brad Torreano
on Jan 28, 2011 at 1:42:57 pm

I had a strange minor victory this morning in that I took CheckVersionPCI.exe out of my Start Up programs and I successfully rebooted twice.

That being established, I did not try Achilleas's solution and Joshua's solution wasn't exactly what I was experiencing (I never had the control panel grayed out and CheckVersionPCI.exe froze when I started it manually), so I'd like to explore my options further so ensure that this never happens again.

Today is a hard day to follow up on any of these solutions since I'm behind in my work and a working card means I need to catch up on some projects, but I'd love to look into this further on Monday.

Is there a faster way to contact Blackmagic besides the support request? I apologize if it's obvious, but I didn't see it this morning when I was looking at the support section of the website.

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:41:52 am

Hi Brad,

The support numbers for each region can be found on the following page.

http://blackmagic-design.com/company/

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Oliver Maingay
on Feb 1, 2011 at 12:53:38 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem here. Did you find a concrete solution to this? It is very frustrating having to continually reboot until Windows picks up the Decklink card, especially with a client sitting in!

My motherboard is a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and I'm using a Decklink HD Extreme 3

Return to posts index

Brad Torreano
on Feb 1, 2011 at 1:58:53 pm

My temp solution was to take CheckVersionPCI.exe out of my startup programs in MSCONFIG and then reboot, but I already had one instance of that not working so I don't know if it was coincidence or not.

I am going to be calling Blackmagic either today or tomorrow to work this out with them, so I'll share anything I learn on these boards.

Return to posts index

Tracy Peterson
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:05:20 pm

Please do share any results. I have had this problem for over a year now. I swapped motherboards a while back and I've got the previously mentioned Gigabyte now. Might move over to that Asus you mentioned but the limited compatibility on this card has already cost me more than three times what the card cost me. I'm dying to know what the problem is. I've changed every component on this workstation systematically and have come up short every time still.

Out of curiosity, do you get unexplained dropped frames as well?

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]