FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pocket Ultrascope Not Functional

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Ravens
Pocket Ultrascope Not Functional
on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:21:51 pm

After reviewing all the requirements for USB 3.0 and the Pocket Ultrascope, I bit the bullet an bought the Pocket Ultrascope. Since BMD has an HP Envy15 laptop on their list, I was sure an HP Elitebook 8740w would work. After downloading and installing the recommended drivers and firmware, my 8740 recognizes the Pocket Ultrascope, but continues to tell me to connect to a USB 3 port and refuses to launch.

Has anyone been able to get this extremely balky product to work, short of spending upwards of $1500 on a new computer?

Return to posts index

Paulo Americo
Re: Pocket Ultrascope Not Functional
on Jan 25, 2011 at 1:18:24 pm

From the Blackmagic Support Document Number 201 of 05 January 2011:

Which notebooks can I use with Blackmagic Design USB 3.0 Products?

There are no notebooks currently available which are compatible with our USB 3.0 hardware. We are in the process of qualifying more notebooks.

We have tried the HP Envy 17'' and it didn't work. So now we have this box waiting for a solution from Blackmagic. How many of us are in the same situation?

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:24:25 pm

HAH! Thanx for that info. In another BMD source, they show an Envy15 as acceptable. Sounds to me like they released a product before the SDK was fully understood...so so typically bad judgment,

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:38:31 am

BMD says "THIS LAPTOP IS QUALIFIED." So you then buy the product and use it on a model they don't say is qualified...and you complain that it doesn't work? Dude...you are using on hardware BMD hasn't qualified to work with it. You can't just ASSUME that it will work. Never assume. Because in this case, you are wrong.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:09:09 am

Well, I'm sure you never took a calculated risk, doode. BMD listed the HP Envy15 as an approved laptop, then retracted their claims. Somewwhat misleading, this. The HP8740 uses the same NEC chipset, so, the gamble was a reasonable one.

BMD has a huge advertising campaign for these devices. Nowhere do the warn potential buyers of the very limited hosts for their product, until you look at the product manual.

The fundamental issue is that USB3 is an emerging technology. Given enough time, implementation will catch up with applications. It's still misleading to advertise this product as USB3 compatible without also publicly posting a diisclaimer.

My experience with BMD is less than satisfactory, now and in the past. I have no qualms or misgivings with posting my displeasure.

Regardless, your post simply shows your own poor judgment in posting.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:19:27 am

[Bill Ravens] "Well, I'm sure you never took a calculated risk, doode. "

I have. But I didn't complain about it publically, that a device doesn't work on the item I took a risk on, and blamed the maker for it. You took the risk, it didn't work out. Not BMD's fault.

I too looked at this device. And heavily researched what I would need in order for it to work before I bought. Because USB3 is rare...VERY rare. I found the laptop they said was qualified for it, and it was very expensive, so I opted not to buy.

[Bill Ravens] "My experience with BMD is less than satisfactory, now and in the past. I have no quamms or misgivings with posting my displeasure."

Well, if it was something bad on their end, I'd not blame you. But it isn't...you used hardware they didn't qualify, and you took the risk that it would. It didn't. Not BMDs fault...it is yours.

Shane

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:29:41 am

I take responsibility for the risk. I never said I didn't. However, in all fairness, BMD is less than forthcoming in their advertising for this product. My only motivation for even starting this post is to publicly warn other potential buyers that it is $600 wasted. If you insist on slamming me for that, then I have nothing more to add.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:34:07 am

I'll give you that. They have this great product, but really ZERO laptops that it will work with. I discovered that too.

Marketting strikes again.

OK...pardon my rudeness then.

Shane

Return to posts index

Paulo Americo
on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:19:23 am

An email we got from Blackmagic support last week:

-------------------
Hi Paulo

We have recently removed the HP Envy 15” notebook from our recommendations, as the model that we tested and certified is now end of life and no longer available. I must be honest in saying it would be very difficult to find one of these systems, and so we decided to remove this from our recommendations.

The other Envy notebooks in the range, as well as the replacement model for the HP Envy 15” are of different specifications and we have not found these suitable for our USB 3.0 products. We are constantly testing newer laptop systems for our USB 3.0 products, and as soon as suitable systems become available we will be posting these online.

----------------------

So you see, maybe they should stop selling the box until they have a working solution. For us, all there is to do is play the waiting game.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:06:30 am

Was that notebook the ONLY one on their qualified list?

Shane

Return to posts index

Paulo Americo
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:10:28 am

Yes, it was.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Jan 26, 2011 at 5:11:23 pm

I built an i7 for under 1000$ and it works with the Shuttle, has the x58 chipset and usb 3. see this link for MBs. Take the envy back.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=201

Return to posts index

Paulo Americo
on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:19:45 am

Good for you. But we went with the Pocket Ultrascope because it's the right tool for our workflow.
We'll be waiting for a new qualified laptop... Or a firmware update that makes it more universal.

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:48:53 pm

Here's the problem. And it is as frustrating for us as it is for you guys, that's for sure.

When we first were getting close to release (before NAB) there was only 1 laptop available that even had USB 3 on it. That was the HP Envy.

Specifically it was the 15" (there were no other sizes with USB3 at that time) with the i7 chip (and graphics card though the cards were the same GPU level).

We purchased several of these and they worked fine.

Shortly thereafter several other Envy laptops came out including the 17" and the 13". We tried those and shockingly they didn't work. We found this odd, but we noted the limitation.

Shortly there after the Envy 15" dropped off the site and was unavailable. So when it showed back up we got one of the new ones and it also did not work.

So we dug into why. Turns out that at some point after the 15" came out they designed the others on a new motherboard (which did not work for us). Then they re-released the 15" to the world and it got an "update" as well to this new motherboard and hence it also does not work.

Since then we've tried several laptops. A number of Asus models, a Dell as well. All of them behaved exactly the same. Not enough bandwidth.

Technically why this happens is due to how much bandwidth is on the PCI-e bus on these laptops. They are not given enough isochronous bandwidth and so the error pops up.

So we have hope for some of the emerging laptops that are coming out with second generation motherboards that are supposed to have more bandwidth to the USB3 ports.

Until that time we've made sure to mention that there are NO current laptops that support USB 3 for OUR products. We try to be as transparent about this as we can. Of course we want to see this technology become as common place as a mouse, but USB3 is still in its infancy and our confidence is high that when USB 3 becomes more commonplace and mature that it will be available on almost any device.

Until then, we are limited to either using PCI-express addin boards for desktop/micro ATX systems (luggables), and laptop manufacturers.

Anyways, To long, didn't read version. I know you guys are frustrated and we share some of that. But we are being diligent about this.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:29:18 am

thanx for the detailed feedback. It is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:38:13 pm

FWIW....

Update:
I managed to get a hold of an Asus U3S6 controller board. I installed it into the second PCIe x16 slot on my Intel DX48BT2 motherboard. After booting up and installing the lastest Renasas drivers, I am able to successfully operate the BMD Pocket Ultrascope. This is VERY encouraging.

If I may, I'd like to ask for a future enhancement. Currently, the display fires up on my primary display. Would it be possible to allow me to select either my primary, or my secondary display?

TIA

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Jan 29, 2011 at 8:18:14 pm

Nevermind on that request...i just discovered the "VIEW" manu

Return to posts index

kaku Ito
on May 7, 2011 at 2:59:18 pm

Hello Joshua,

I saw Caldigit's USB3 expresscard today in Akihabara.
Is there a path for BM to make this compatible with Pocket UltraScope, so that we can use Pocket UltraScope with some MacBook Pros?

Kaku Ito
http://www.rawesome.info
http://www.redcentral.org

Return to posts index

Karl Deitch
on Dec 1, 2011 at 10:17:17 pm

So what notebooks work?

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Jun 27, 2012 at 2:56:45 pm

It's been quite some time, any news on this? We're in a situation where an ultrascope on a laptop would be very helpful to us.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Adrian Hill
on Oct 4, 2012 at 9:12:55 pm

The concept of this product is amazing but who among us wants a device that fits in your pocket and needs a Desk top to run it? Certainly not I. It really defeats the object, calling something Pocket Ultrascope. I have no idea why such a product is released with such a limited ability to be used. Yep I bought one and am hoping that they release Mac drivers and or a solution to be able to use with off the shelf laptops.

Return to posts index

David Szelag
on Dec 7, 2014 at 6:22:45 pm

I purchased (2) PUS's in the hopes of deploying approximately 100 of them in our network. As mentioned over & over, Marketing has failed the industry again releasing a product that's not ready for prime time. BMD has a # of great products but I feel they don't provide plug-n-play devices in today's work flows unless you're going to stand in front of the unit & press buttons. Remote mgmt seems to be an after thought vs. an immediately available option. For crying out loud... charge for it as many other mfr's do if that's the issue. We'll all buy it because we need it in our work flows. I've been burnt too many times in the recent past with the lack of honest marketing of the products abilities. I'm becoming quite the pessimist when considering any more BMD products.

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Apr 22, 2016 at 5:15:25 pm

Hi Josh,

I'm trying to contact you here since you seem to be informed about this issue, and BMD support has literally told me "I'm not sure how much help I can be" when I emailed them.

When I saw that BMD had released a new version of the ultrascope software that said specifically:
"What's new in UltraScope 1.8
Pocket UltraScope support for Mac Book PRO laptops with Retina display"

subsequent patches specifically noted that the 13" MacBook Pro with retina display was supported.

Needless to say I was excited about this since like many other users in this thread I had battled with trying to find supported laptop hardware in the past.

So I spent the day going down to B&H, and buying a brand new pocket ultrascope and a brand new 13" MacBook Pro specifically for use with the pocket ultrascope.

You can imagine my disappointment when I set everything up and found that the ultrascope software simply said "No INPUT" when being fed a video signal. Just to test things I tried using the same pocket ultrascope with the same USB cable and same video feed going to a Mac Pro tower (trashcan) and it works like a charm.

How can this be I thought, it specifically says this machine is supported in the release notes.

So I emailed support hoping to get a quick answer.

You can imagine my continuing disappointment and growing rage when I was told by support that they were not sure why it wasn't working and "I'm not sure how much help I can be".

!@#!@!!!

How on earth to you guys expect to gain the confidence of your customers when the products don't function as advertised and support fails to take these issues seriously? Sorry for the rant, but this has in fact happened to me a number of times with BMD products.

Thanks Josh, and let me be clear this anger is not directed at you, only BMD as a company, and I realize that none of this is your fault, and in fact you are going above and beyond to try and help customers by even taking part in this non-company forum. So thank you.

best-
-Nat

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Apr 22, 2016 at 6:33:34 pm

From an earlier Post in 2011, I had to build a desktop with an x 58 chipset motherboard in order for my intensity shuttle usb3 to work on that PC. Since then I have bought two Sony Vaio laptops and a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and all three work with my intensity shuttle usb3. In fact one Vaio laptop, I put a solid state drive in it and it will capture 10-bit uncompressed Avi where are the original specs said it needed a multi Drive raid system to capture that video.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 29, 2016 at 1:14:15 am

It is April 2016. This is a stupid post.
I have just installed 10 Blackmagic SmartScope Duo scopes at Disney in Orlando today. They cost $995 each, they require NO computer, and they are wonderfully reliable. Are you kidding me - talking about a product from 2011 ? The SmartScope Duo is an incredibly reliable product that does EVERYTHING that you want (yes, 4K too) - waveform, vectorscope, audio meters, picture monitor. It weighs nothing, it requires NO computer (other than to do an initial setup or change what you want to see on the displays).

Just STOP IT with ranting about products from 5 years ago. It's over.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nat Jencks
on Apr 29, 2016 at 1:44:12 am

Ha, thanks as always Bob.

The ultrascope is 10bit vs 8bit, supports error logging and can show the 6-up display rather than the 2-up. But you know all that.

The smartscope duo is ok. But I would prefer to use the ultrascope if it would work on the hardware it now says it is supposed to work with.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Apr 30, 2016 at 3:35:22 am

Where I work, a previous engineering regime had bought a Pocket Ultrascope and had it attached to a "portable" computer. I dragged the system out of storage and tried to use it.

The motherboard had USB 3 but there was also a PCIe USB 3 card in the case.

Finally figured out that the Ultrascope wouldn't work with the motherboard USB and software would run when connected to the PCIe card, but there was no display, just the window frame of the app.

Finally, disabled "Aero" in Windows 7 and the thing now works.

YMMV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]