FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultra Studio Pro USB3.0 _ A Safe Bet?

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Smith
Ultra Studio Pro USB3.0 _ A Safe Bet?
on Jan 19, 2011 at 6:13:21 pm

About to build a new workstation using new ASUS MOBO X58 chipset & USB 3.0. I will be editing HD & HDV on Sony Vegas Pro and releasing on both standard DVD & BlueRay as well as compress for webstreaming.

I really want to get a bump in quality AND speed up my workflow. Any thoughts? Comments, recommendations...personal experiences are most welcome.

Thanks,
Chas

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Ultra Studio Pro USB3.0 _ A Safe Bet?
on Jan 20, 2011 at 7:24:23 am

Understand that once captured as DV or HDV on tape, it's already compressed to that format, so getting better quality isn't going to work like that. My shuttle also comes with the same Media Express capture software as this device does. The way to improve on the quality with these devices is to capture straight from the camera imager, live, without tape, using the Media Express software. This bypasses the camera compressor and allows you to capture as Motion JPEG or uncompressed 8 and 10 bit avi with raid 0. I can connect my HDV camera without a tape in it to the Black Magic device via component and capture as 1080i MJPEG without a raid array, set my Vegas project properties to Progressive, field order to interpolate to get rid of the interlacing and the quality is far superior to capturing it via firewire as HDV. Most newer cameras HDMI, component and composite outputs are before the camera compressor but not all are. You can test it by connecting your camera with it in "Camera mode, not vcr as to view it live without recording to tape" straight from one of these outputs to your HDTV and also connect it with firewire and open VLC and set it to "open capture device", and monitor it via VGA or HDMI to the same HDTV and A/B them by switching the HDTVs source. You will be able to see a difference right away if your cameras outputs are before the cameras compressor. Hope this helps, Danny Hays Universal Studios FL.

Return to posts index

Charles Smith
Re: Ultra Studio Pro USB3.0 _ A Safe Bet?
on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:41:59 pm

Danny, thanks for the detailed reply. It pretty much confirmed what I already knew about DV/HDV recording/compression. I've yet to employ any live camera HDMI output/input but I've thought a lot about that lately... especially any greenscreen/composite studiowork.
That seems like a great appplication as well as getting super quality recordings at live events. I'll try some tests after I get my newer workstation built.

While a good bit of my work comes from HDV and stuff either shot on DV or archived on older analog formats, I am getting more work in the HD realm and am looking to get my feet wet in HDSLR soon. Having
a multiple format I/O solution is attractive. Of course having ability for uncompressed video (when appropriate) could be a real plus too.

Thanks again for your thoughtful responses... good info!
Chas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]