FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDMI Capture with Decklink HD extreme

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anas Shabsogh
HDMI Capture with Decklink HD extreme
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:38:48 pm

Hi,
i have a Decklink HD Extreme 3 and am trying to capture from a blu-ray player or a ps3 through HDMI cable but all i got is a black screen, so is this card Capable of capturing from a blu-ray player or ps3 or i have to Buying the Intensity card and correct me on this - is the HDMI input in this card for capturing from the HDV cameras only ?.

Thank you all

Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon
2*2.26 GHz
8 GB mem

Return to posts index

Chris Pearse
Re: HDMI Capture with Decklink HD extreme
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:35:14 am

Hi Anas,

I'm afraid that it isn't possible to capture over HDMI from devices such as the PS3 or Blu-Ray players. This is because they are protected with HDCP.

This is part of the handshake process between two HDMI devices, if the source device does not detect an HDCP enabled device on the other end it will either not output, or output a scrambled image, or similar. This would also be the case with the Intensity Pro, or any other HDMI capture device.

Legally, I'm afraid there's no way around this over HDMI. The most common type of HDMI device without HDCP protection is of course cameras, but there are others out there. And some are selective as to when HDCP is enabled, such as the Xbox 360, which is OK with games, but seems to enable HDCP when playing DVDs or videos.

Chris Pearse
Technical Support Consultant
Blackmagic Design EMEA

Return to posts index

Craig Meadows
on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:13:00 pm

Use MPEG Streamclip to open the file from the TS folder on the DVD. Then export to any of your installed codecs and edit away.

Return to posts index

Craig Meadows
on Jan 18, 2011 at 8:21:31 pm

Regarding my last post using MPEG Streamclip. That is with the assumption you have permission to use the material if it is indeed copyrighted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]