FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ultrascope Machine Build Questions

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Stone
Ultrascope Machine Build Questions
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:47:26 pm

My editing ecosystem revolves around a Mac based computing environment so this means I have to build a PC (want to) in order to get an Ultrascope happening in my studio.

I'm settled on the ASUS motherboard (P6X58D-E)
running WinXP with 2 gigs of RAM.

My big question is about the video card. I see from a recent post that Bob has made there are a few ATIs that are qualified. I can easily lay my hands on a 4870 or a 4670 but they are OEM rebranded ATI cards. Even on eBay it is difficult to find ATI only branded cards of this vintage.

Does anyone have experience using either of these cards but the rebranded variety?

And I might as well ask a couple of more questions...

Are there any laptops that are qualified to (or known to) work with the Pocket UltraScope.

And has anyone tried the UltraScope on a Win7 machine yet and had success running it?

-Andrew Stone

Steadicam & Camera Operator

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
Re: Ultrascope Machine Build Questions
on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:16:10 pm

I would probably run it with Windows 7. I run all my scopes on 7 in the office. It works very nicely.

As for laptops for Pocket Ultrascope when we first launched it there was one that we found to work. It was the 15" HP Envy. But since they've discontinued that model and changed the motherboard in it. So unfortunately the current 15" HP Envy doesn't work.

Bottom line, right now we have not found one that works. However we are constantly testing new ones (we've got a few right now that we are looking at).

As for the graphics card, don't worry about trying to get an older card, just get one that is newer than the minimum. Stay away from the nVidia Qaudros (as they don't support the texture fill rates we require) but the gaming cards work well. If you have a question about a specific card give us a call. It should not matter if the card is OEM or not.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:06:45 am

It would be wonderful if Blackmagic would update their support page, and as you discover which cards work, please state "the following graphics cards are supported with the Blackmagic Ultrascope".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Joshua Helling
on Jan 17, 2011 at 6:28:44 pm

Yeah...the good news is that the technote page exists. And as we test more board we will keep this updated.

Sincerely,

Joshua
Director of Support
Blackmagic Design Inc.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jan 17, 2011 at 8:13:10 pm

Thanks Joshua for the replies (and to Bob for chiming in).

One final question about the UltraScope... Can you adjust the gain so those using color charts (DSC, Macbeth, etc) can get the vectorscope info in the vicinity of target range?

Steadicam & Camera Operator

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]