FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture glitches with Decklink Studio

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Turberville
Capture glitches with Decklink Studio
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:38:20 pm

We are getting capture glitches when capturing from a Sony DSR-45 deck using component inputs. We do not get the glitches if we capture using y/c (s-video) inputs. Yes, this is a DV deck and we could use firewire capture and control, but we are looking to replace our Avid system with put this Premiere box and want to keep our component patch bay that includes Beta SP decks intact since we expect to still be using existing Beta and DV tapes for some time.

The glitches are almost surely not hard drive based. We see the glitches when monitoring the component signal using the Premiere CS4 or CS5 capture window.

The glitches are almost surely not caused by Premiere since we see the same glitches when capturing using BlackMagic's Media Express software.

We've have blackburst going to the DSR-45 and then looping through to the sync input of the Decklink Studio card.

We are using the latest Blackmagic software.

The motherboard is an ASUS M4A89GTD (AMD six core).
The video card is Nvidia GTS 240 based card - 1GB DDR5 RAM.

I've tried putting the Decklink Studio card in both the x4 and X1 PCIe slots and get identical results regardless.

I've updated the motherboard to the latest BIOS. Neither the motherboard or NVIDIA card is overclocked.

Oddly, the timing of the glitches - which have the appearance of sync loss - seem to be correlated to motion in the video itself.

We are looking for clues as to where to look next for solutions.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mike Bujak
Re: Capture glitches with Decklink Studio
on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:45:56 pm

Can You describe how it looks like ? or can You put any sample on internet ?

I have a similar problem, when capturing video footage I get a purple/black (two frames) drop from time to time. Higher compression I use, more often I get thoose drops.

Return to posts index

Jay Turberville
Re: Capture glitches with Decklink Studio
on Dec 31, 2010 at 1:30:26 am

It is basically a dropping frames. But this has nothing to do with the capture format being used since it drops the frames when simply monitoring the deck output in "camera" mode.

We hooked up a Beta-SP deck this afternoon and it did not have the problem. All capturing and monitoring was flawless. So we ran the DSR-45 component outputs through the Beta deck and were able to capture from the DSR-45 flawlessly that way.

So it seems to me that there's something in the DSR-45 component output that the Decklink Studio card is not happy with. The Avid Adrenaline is OK with the DSR-45, but the Decklink Studio is not. It's anybody's guess at this point as to which or either component is actually misbehaving. Maybe both components are in spec but marginally so and that the combination creates the problem? Either way, the Beta deck cleans things up - probably via the internal TBC (which the DSR-45 also has). So that tells me that we probably don't have a fundamental configuration or compatibility problem with the computer, software and Decklink card and if we want to capture from the DSR-45 via analog component, we certainly can if we want. We just need to patch through the Beta deck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]