FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videohub Software/Firmware Upgrades

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob McGreevy
Videohub Software/Firmware Upgrades
on Dec 28, 2010 at 4:54:53 pm

Hi,

We have a Workgroup Videohub (the original 12x24 version) and I've never been able to successfully upgrade the software/firmware past the original version that came with the unit (ver. 1.2 I believe). Every time we try to do so, the video/audio signal get trashed (looks like lack of sync in video and audio has is replaced with digital noise) on several of the input/outputs. Some of the ins/outs are fine with no problems.

I just wondering if anyone else out there in COW pasture has experienced a similar problem and if they were able to correct it?

The software portion works fine on the PC we have the unit tethered to. It seems that the firmware is the culprit in the process. As soon as I downgrade the unit back to the original version everything returns to normal.

Thanks!
I contacted BM support about this phenomenon when version 4.0 came out and the tech didn't seem to know why it would do that and the only thing the guy told me was there was a known bug with the PC version of the software and to wait for the next update. So I did and it doesn't seem to have corrected the problem. I've also written them 2x via e-mail and gotten no response whatsoever. Not even a automated "hey we got your e-mail someone will be back with you later... ya da, ya da, ya da type response which is kind of frustrating. I even had someone from BM contact me totally unrelated via e-mail regarding new features we'd like to see in the Videohub and I responded then with some ideas and asked about this problem as well and never heard back from him. I'm just glad this isn't a mission critical problem!

I love this unit it's a workhorse for us, it does what no other product would do for us and works fine as is and if we never can upgrade it, oh well. But it sure would be nice to know one way or the other if it could be upgraded, and it would be nice to take advantage of some of the newer features of the software that's available now.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
Re: Videohub Software/Firmware Upgrades
on Dec 29, 2010 at 12:05:16 am

We have the same unit here and have never had the issues you speak of.
We can upgrade the firmware OK and it is controlled via a dedicated PC running XP.
The only problem we have is with the built in keyer. It seems that newer versions of this unit does not have the keyer and subsequently the software does not support it correctly. So we have to run an earlier version of the firmware.
Other than that it IS a work horse and unfortunately we have outgrown it and may need to upgrade it shortly for more I/O.

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

Rob McGreevy
on Dec 29, 2010 at 2:30:20 am

Thanks for the response Sam... we've never used the keyer before so that wouldn't be an issue for us. Glad to hear upgrading is working for someone. (grin)

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:49:29 pm

Hi Rob,

I am sorry to hear about your issue and frustrations.

I will do some further investigation and get back to you later next week.

Our testing of our latest software releases has shown no problems with Workgroup Videohub apart from the keying as Sam mentioned.

Have a happy and safe New Year.

Regards,

Hersh Burston
Senior Product Manager
Blackmagic Design

Return to posts index

Rob McGreevy
on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:46:59 pm

Thanks Hersh,

Look forward to hearing from you, have a great holiday as well.

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:08:52 pm

Hi Rob,

We have found that V1.0 was released in October 2004. We have tried installing this into our Videohub but have discovered that this is not possible due to the current operating system. What are you running?

Return to posts index

Rob McGreevy
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:16:41 am

We've got it hooked up to a HP workstation running Windows XP SP3.

Return to posts index

Hersh Burston
on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:33:41 am

Hi Rob,

We can confirm that what you are experiencing only applies to early Workgroup Videohubs but not all when updated with new firmware. Unfortunately we will not be doing any further development on this product. You will need to use the original firmware.

Return to posts index

Rob McGreevy
on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:41:04 pm

Good to know. Now I won't waste my time trying to upgrade it... a note on your website or in your software/firmware upgrade release notes about this issue would go a long way to alleviating this frustration for other users. Thanks for running down this issue for me. I appreciate your efforts!

Best Regards,

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]